Re: Ramm, Rimmer, etc

From: M.B.Roberts (topper@robertschirk.u-net.com)
Date: Sun Feb 25 2001 - 15:30:50 EST

    May I add my own experience. I read Ramm's book in 1971 at L'Abri where I
    went to learn under F Scaeffer before going to Anglican Seminary in the UK.

    I had just returned to Britain after working as geologist in Africa and on
    arrival at L'Abri Schaeffer's son-in-law recommended I should read the
    Genesis Flood and other Creationist works. I was not pleased but soon
    discovered all the flaws. Fortunately at L'Abri were some ex-Wheaton
    missionaries who gave me tremendous help and Bob advised me to read James
    Orr and Bernard Ramm.

    Ramm's book I found excellent and helped me no end, and is one of the
    seminal books in my life. My whole understanding of science and Christianity
    was started and guided by his work but I have used as the man with 5 talents
    in the parable and not the one was given one and buried it.

    I have evolved beyond my study of Ramm and still turn to it at times with
    profit.

    Lastly I find Ted's comment about Ramm saying in 1979 that he would make
    more of literary genre interesting as I also have moved down that line. This
    brings out a weakness in much evangelicalism in that in our concern to
    uphold the authority and unity of Scripture we do not always recognise the
    diversity of the literature in the Bible i.e. it's literary genre. Until we
    do we are liable to slip into a naive literalism as does Henry Morris on the
    last chapters of Job which are a marvellous poetic evocation of God the
    Creator and says nothing about fire-belching dinosaurs. These cahpters of
    Job provide wonderful passages for preaching about Creation. (Incidentally I
    often use Job 28 as the reading and basis for a sermon at funerals for
    coal-miners. My town in Wales is an ex-mining area.)

    Have I gone neo-orthodox or am I plain orthodox? I would say that I am
    closer to Calvin's ideas of "accomodation" of scripture to the ways of
    thought of the rude and unlearned.

    Looking back I think Ramm kept me on the straight and narrow as no way could
    I become a creationist and at that time I was questioning much of my faith.

    Michael Roberts