RE:

From: Geoff Bagley (gbagley@ntlworld.com)
Date: Sat Feb 24 2001 - 06:01:00 EST

    I have been quietly observing the many posts to this discussion group far a
    while, without making any contributions. However, I thought members of the
    group might be interested in this contribution to the Sojourners newsletter.

    Source: SojoNet 2001 (c) http://www.Sojo.net

    Geoff Bagley

    S o u l W o r k s
    ++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
    An interview with Huston Smith

    Huston Smith, one of the world's foremost scholars
    of religion, issues a manifesto defending the religious
    dimension of human life in his new book, "Why Religion
    Matters." Drawing on a lifetime of reading and
    experience, Smith tells Amazon.com why, as an
    octogenarian, he felt the need to address the basic
    issue named by the title of his book and discusses
    the wisdom and weaknesses that come with age.

    ------------

    Question: Your book is particularly critical of the
    contemporary tendency to view science as the royal
    road to knowledge. You're careful to demonstrate that
    your argument is not against science per se, but against
    "scientism," your term for the prejudice that favors
    science over other ways of knowing. Why do you think
    that scientism is such a powerful and compelling
    way of thinking for so many people? Does scientism appeal
    to some weakness that is inherent in human nature?

    Smith: Two weaknesses, actually. First, people like
    certainty, and science can provide that by weeding
    out false hypotheses through laboratory experiments.
    We could never have placed people on the moon without
    knowledge of laws of nature that have been demonstrated
    to be absolutely true. The trouble here is in thinking
    that provable knowledge is more important than knowledge
    that is only probable. None of the questions that
    directly concern us - Shall I marry her? Shall we have
    children? What shall I do with my life? - can be answered
    with certainty for the sufficient reason that life is
    itself uncertain. If we resent that, we should remember
    that it is uncertainty that gives us our freedom. If
    there were answer books for life's questions, we would
    be reduced to robots. Automatons. The second weakness
    that fuels scientism is our lust for things. Life is
    impossible without some possessions, but to think that
    happiness consists in the number of things we possess
    is to exaggerate their importance and the importance
    of the technologies that produce them.

    Question: What if biology gives scientism more ammunition
    against the traditional religious worldview? If science
    makes further progress in studying the portion of the
    brain that is associated with religious experience and
    provides biological explanations for how these
    experiences are triggered, how might religion be affected?

    Smith: Every thought we think is underwritten by neuron
    firings in our brains, but those firings are neutral
    regarding the truth or falsity of the thoughts they
    occasion. The same holds for the validity of our
    experiences, religious and otherwise. The brain, like
    all parts of the body, can break down and bring on
    attendant disabilities, but neuroscientists are not
    going to find some points in the brain that generate
    true thoughts and others that generate bloopers. Nor
    will they find different patterns of neuron firings for
    authentic love, on the one hand, and mere infatuation
    on the other. The same holds for mystical visions. [ ]

    To read the full interview with Huston Smith, go to:

    http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/feature/-/133456/ref=ad_b_chb_2