Re: Sin and Death

From: Keith B Miller (kbmill@ksu.edu)
Date: Wed Feb 21 2001 - 11:37:15 EST

    Ken wrote in response to my post:

    >But it seems difficult to associate the state of the first humans as a
    >state of innocence such as in an infant. In a state of innocence the
    >individual can hardly be held accountable for his or her behavior. We
    >certainly don't hold infants accountable or attach blame to them for
    >their actions do we? Accountability surely must be associated with a
    >voluntary and knowledgeable act of wrongdoing. If the first humans did
    >not know they were doing wrong how could they be held accountable?

    But this was precisely my point. Before the fall, humans were innocent and
    thus not accountable. They were not perfect in some abstract sense. They
    were child-like.

    Their accountability came when they were given a revelation of God's will
    and character. In rebelling against that will they came to know what good
    and evil were, and thus became accountable.

    Keith

    Keith B. Miller
    Department of Geology
    Kansas State University