Re: Sin and Death

From: Howard J. Van Till (hvantill@novagate.com)
Date: Wed Feb 21 2001 - 20:38:36 EST

    Hi Ken. You asked:

    > Why are the first 11 chapters of Genesis included in Holy Writ? In
    > particular what should we understand about the scriptures recorded in
    > Genesis 1, 2 and 3? Do the creation stories, and the fall story teach us
    > anything at all? Presumably, (and I agree here) they do not teach us about
    > the actual particular events that took place to get the universe to its
    > present condition. That is, these stories do not record "literal history"
    > in the sense that we could have captured it on a video camera. But what is
    > the meaning of the repetitive "and God saw that it was good" recorded in
    > Gen. 1? Was there ever a time when the creation really was "good" in and of
    > itself? - a goodness which did not, evidently, depend on the presence of
    > humans - but continued to be good even after the creation (appearance) of
    > humans? If so what was the quality of this goodness? Does it include some
    > measure of harmony among creatures and between the Creator and His
    > creation? Or is it sheer poppycock to think of the creation story in these
    > terms? If sheer poppycock, then why are these stories included in the Canon?

    With a bit of playfulness I might suggest that the only way to get a
    definitive answer to your first and last questions, Ken, would be to go back
    in time & chat with the folks who made the decision to craft the "primeval
    history" literature of Genesis 1-11 and to include it in the Hebrew canon.

    More seriously, I would suggest looking at resources like Nahum Sarna's
    book, _Understanding Genesis_ (New York: Schocken Books, 1966). Sarna, a
    Jewish scholar, brings his familiarity with Ancient Near Eastern culture to
    bear on several of your questions.

    Howard Van Till