Re: So far, new genetics leave plenty of room for faith

From: SteamDoc@aol.com
Date: Wed Feb 14 2001 - 23:08:49 EST

    The story Moorad posted quotes Intelligent Design advocate Steven Meyer:

    > "What we're doing is saying ... what if naturalism isn't true?" Meyer says.
    > "We want to go back to that great 19th-century question and say: Maybe they
    > were wrong.... If there's evidence of real design, then the God question may
    > be back on the table."

    This provides another illustration of the theological problem many of us have
    with much of the ID movement. The implication of Meyer's statement is that,
    without "evidence of real design" (a term which needs definition, but by
    which he probably means scientifically detectible "fingerprints" of
    extra-natural intervention), "the God question" is decided in the negative.
    I have two problems with this.

    First, Christian theology recognizes God's sovereignty over nature, so that
    God can work (and often does, though perhaps not always) without leaving
    "fingerprints." It is therefore theologically wrong (the God-of-the-Gaps
    error) to say that the sort of "evidence of real design" Meyer et al. think
    God should have left is a necessary condition for theism.

    Second and maybe more important, Meyer implies that "evidence of real design"
    is the key to "the God question." Funny, as a Christian I have always
    thought Jesus Christ was the key testimony with regard to "the God question."
     When ID material implies "design" is *the* key issue with regard to the
    truth of Christianity, I wonder if they are in some sense denying Jesus.
    After all, Jesus said "He who has seen me has seen the Father," not "He who
    has seen irreducible complexity has seen the Father." [Thanks to Joel Cannon
    and Ted Davis for inspiring my thoughts on this second point.]

    IF convincing ID evidence is ever found, it may well serve to put "the God
    question" back on the table for some who have answered it in the negative.
    But anybody who has taken God off the table on the basis of science has
    employed a flawed metaphysics that fails to allow God to work via "natural"
    processes. It might be more fruitful to point out the flaw in their
    metaphysics (and then, of course, to point them to Christ) than to base
    apologetics on the sandy foundation of being able to detect evidence of God
    having worked by means he may not have chosen to use.

    Dr. Allan H. Harvey, Boulder, Colorado | SteamDoc@aol.com
    "Any opinions expressed here are mine, and should not be
     attributed to my employer, my wife, or my cats"