Re: More on Gosse's OMPHALOS

From: John W Burgeson (burgytwo@juno.com)
Date: Tue Feb 13 2001 - 14:57:02 EST

    George posted as follows:

    " I guess maybe I'm not clear on the point you were making. A few
    weeks ago there was an extensive discussion here on the claim that
    "apparent
    age" requires a "deceptive God." You challenged that claim with Gosse's
    argument that divine creation must produce structures with apparent age."

            The claim I challenge is simply that while a "deceptive god" argument is
    very proper to be used by one who is challenging the YEC claim of a young
    earth, it is an argument the YEC people, AFAIK of course, do not make
    themselves, and, indeed, sometimes go to great lengths to argue against,
    as did Gosse in OMPHALOS. I also said that I found his particular
    arguments, made in the light of the science he knew in 1857, which did
    not, of course, include the geological sciences, to be rather persuasive.
    IOW, if I would, for a moment, assume the literal reading of Genesis,
    what Gosse argued was in accordance with that and did not imply a
    deceitful god.

    It would be a fascinating exercise to see how Gosse himself responded to
    Kingsley's comments and those of others. Gosse lived another 31 years and
    continued to publish, although not, AFAIK, on the OMPHALOS theme again.
    But it is likely there were personal letters.

    George continued:

    "The point I've tried to make is that that isn't true. We know at
    least a possible creative scenario - i.e., creation through thoroughgoing
    cosmic & biological evolution - which has no such structures.
    Moreover, we have a good deal of evidence - & such evidence was already
    emerging in the time of Gosse & Kingsley - which suggests that such
    evolution
    actually has taken place."

    Sorry -- I do not understand your point here. If you are arguing that a
    deceptive god argument is appropriate, I don't have a problem with that.
    If you are arguing that a deceptive god argument is necessary -- that
    such an argument must necessarily follow from the YEC position, then I
    must respectfully disagree.

     George again:

    "Now of course it is still possible that God did create the whole
    thing with apparent age and apparent evidence of evolution. But it is
    clear
    that God didn't _have_ to do that."

    Not having universal knowledge, I'd have to modify the word "clear" with
    "it seems to me."

    George again:

    "... & if God did indeed create a universe
    with not only apparent age but apparent evidence for evolution, it seems
    me very hard to avoid the claim that God is "deceptive.""

    With that I will agree. But "very hard" is not the same as "impossible."

    George again:

    "Maybe such deception is part of the divine wisdom, but it is still
    deceptive. Perhaps it has the nature of a test, a bit like problems we
    sometimes make up for students with superfluous information to test their
    ability to get to the hard of a situation. We are trying to mislead them
    with a higher end in view, but we are still trying to mislead them."

    I suppose this position might be taken by a person who argues that since
    scripture is inerrant, that early Genesis tells how (and when) things
    took place, and since scripture must always trump science, then there is
    no deception involved. I think you and I can agree that arguing with such
    a person is really futile, since our point of departure is on a
    fundamental (sic) assumption.

    BTW -- just got your book in the mail. Looking forward to reading it.

    Burgy (John Burgeson)

    This is my home page but it has been down for several days.

    www.Burgy.50megs.com

    GET INTERNET ACCESS FROM JUNO!
    http://dl.www.juno.com/get/tagj.