Fwd: [METAVIEWS] 008: The Big Tent and the Camel's Nose,by Eugenie Scott

From: Ted Davis (tdavis@messiah.edu)
Date: Tue Feb 13 2001 - 08:29:58 EST

    I forward Genie Scott's comments on ID, which call for the emperor to show
    his clothes. My own view on this is somewhere in between Bill Dembski and
    Genie Scott: I think that teachers at all levels (K-12 and university)
    should be encouraged to "teach the controversy" about evolution as part of
    science classes (not social studies, e.g.), since science isn't absolute
    truth and isn't disconnected from other currents of thinking. Genie opposes
    that (I know). On the other hand, I don't think that ID has clearly enough
    distinguished itself from YEC (as Genie writes and as I've written
    elsewhere) to articulate a coherent positive alternative to naturalism: they
    need to answer precisely the sorts of questions that Genie raises. Bill
    opposes that (I think). Meanwhile the controversy continues, even though
    most schools won't talk about it....

    Ted Davis

    attached mail follows:

    Metaviews 008. 2001.0212. Approximately 2052 words.

    In the essay below, Eugenie Scott replies to William Dembski (see
    Metaviews 006). On philosophical grounds, Scott argues that ³One
    cannot use natural processes to hold constant the actions of
    supernatural forces; hence it is impossible to test (by naturalistic
    methodology) supernatural explanations.² Scott points out that
    Dembski and other proponents of Intelligent Design are extremely
    vague about acknowledging the observed pattern of evolution (by
    whatever process). Scott writes that ³The reason ID proponents are
    so vague about an actual picture of what happened is that they strive
    to include YECs, progressive creationists (PCs), and theistic
    evolutionists (TEs) among their theorists and supporters (though the
    TE gang must feel rather uncomfortable, Dembski himself having
    proclaimed that ŒID is no friend of theistic evolution¹ (Dembski,
    1995). This is not just a big tent; it is one bulging with people
    who must be eying one another warily.² Scott notes that much of this
    effort is focused on influencing the curriculum in K-12 schools, but
    it is not the least bit clear what exactly Dembski et. al. would have
    us teach, say about the age of the Earth or the observed patterns of
    evolution from common descent (again leaving aside the question of
    how this evolution happens). Accordingly I have titled this essay,
    "The Big Tent and the Camel's Nose."

    -- Billy Grassie

    =-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=
    From: "Eugenie C. Scott" <scott@ncseweb.org>
    Subject: The Big Tent and the Camel¹s Nose

    William Dembski has responded to my January 18 Tom Jukes Memorial
    Lecture at UC Berkeley. Others are responding on META and elsewhere
    to the focus of his essay, whether natural selection is testable, and
    I shall not do so here. I should, however comment on views
    attributed to me.

    I wasn't really dealing with the testability of ID, though that is
    the impression one might get from Dembski's essay. In this public
    lecture, I discussed both traditional creation science as well as
    Neocreationism, and compared them. I talked about Behe's irreducible
    complexity idea, and Dembski's Design Inference, and illustrated
    religious motivation for fighting evolution. I am not especially
    concerned with whether ID is testable. I look at the testability of
    ID the same way I look at the testability of traditional Young Earth
    Creationism (YEC): YEC can make empirically or logically or
    statistically testable statements (the Earth was covered by a body of
    water, all living things are descended from creatures that came off a
    boat) but its foundational claim that everything came into being
    suddenly in its present form through the efforts of a supernatural
    creator is not a scientifically testable claim. I¹ll let theologians
    argue over whether Special Creationism is good theology, but evoking
    omnipotent supernatural causes puts one smack out of the realm of
    science, protestations of the validity of ³theistic science²
    notwithstanding. One cannot use natural processes to hold constant
    the actions of supernatural forces; hence it is impossible to test
    (by naturalistic methodology) supernatural explanations (Scott, 1998
    ). Whether a supernatural force does or does not act is thus outside
    of what science can tell us.

    Similarly, ID can make empirically or logically or statistically
    testable claims (that certain structures are irreducibly complex; by
    using probability arguments like the ³design filter² one can detect
    design) but the foundational claim that a supernatural ³intelligence²
    is behind it all is not a scientifically testable statement. (And
    please, let’s be grownups here: we’re not talking about a
    disembodied, vague ³intelligence² that *might* be material, we’re
    talking about God, an intelligent agent that can do things that,
    according to ID, mortals and natural processes like natural selection
    cannot. Not for nothing does Dembski say that ID is the bridge
    between science and theology.)

    In my talk, I wasn¹t deploring the untestability of ID *per se* but
    the fact that its proponents don¹t present testable models. I was
    referring to the fact that ID proponents don¹t present a model *at
    all* in the sense of saying what happened when. At least YEC
    presents a view of ³what happens²: the universe appeared within
    thousands of years ago, at one time, in its present form, living
    things are descended from specially created ³kinds² from which they
    have not varied except in trivial ways, there was a universal flood
    that produced the modern geological features, and humans are
    specially created apart from all other forms. So what happened in
    the ID model?

      I said (and have said repeatedly) that the message of ID is
    ³evolution is bad science², without providing an alternative view of
    the history of the universe. This is not trivial: in books by Philip
    Johnson as well as in Jonathan Wells’ new *Icons of Evolution*
    teachers are told that they should be teaching students about how
    evolution is a weak, unsubstantiated ³theory in crisis², to use
    former antievolutionist Michael Denton¹s phrase. The theories of
    astronomical, geological and biological evolution attempt to explain
    evidence demonstrating that the universe has been around for a long
    time, and has gradually unfolded from a different form to its present
    form. There are lots of details in there, about when and how things
    happened: when our galaxy formed, when other galaxies formed, when
    Earth formed and out of what matter, when warthogs or whortleberries
    or liverworts came to resemble their present forms, and on.
    Something happened, and we¹re trying to figure out what, and trying
    to figure out the mechanisms that brought it about. ID tells us that
    evolution didn¹t happen (what else is one supposed to take away from
    *Icons of Evolution*?) but it doesn¹t tell us what *did*.

    Unless ID proponents can come up with an actual model of ³what
    happened², all they have is a sterile antievolutionism that adds
    little to YEC beyond the specific ideas of irreducible complexity and
    the design filter.

    The reason ID proponents are so vague about an actual picture of what
    happened is that they strive to include YECs, progressive
    creationists (PCs), and theistic evolutionists (TEs) among their
    theorists and supporters (though the TE gang must feel rather
    uncomfortable, Dembski himself having proclaimed that ³ID is no
    friend of theistic evolution² (Dembski, 1995). This is not just a
    big tent; it is one bulging with people who must be eying one another
    warily. Phil Johnson may want everyone to just be nice for the time
    being until evolution is vanquished, and then they can work out their
    disagreements, but if you think evolutionists squabble, wait until
    you see what happens when the ID folks have to sort out their
    differences.

    As Ronald Numbers and Kelly Smith independently urged at last
    summer¹s ³Design and Its Critics² conference, if ID is going to
    attain any level of scholarly respectability, its proponents are
    going to have to distinguish their model from the discredited,
    unscientific YEC model, even if that means losing the support of
    biblical literalist Christians. For aspiring scholarly movements,
    the enemy of my enemy is not my friend.

    Given my odd line of work, I¹m concerned with practical issues such
    as what teachers are being told to do, and what effect this will have
    on American education. As near as I can tell, teachers are being
    encouraged to teach students that evolution didn¹t happen, and that
    if it did, that natural selection isn¹t the cause of it, and that in
    any event we have to leave room for the direct actions of a Creator,
    and all this is still called science. But to keep all the ID
    factions quiet, an actual picture of what happened, which is what
    evolution is trying to explain and what ID has to explain, is never
    mentioned. What should teachers teach? Apparently, judging from
    *Icons of Evolution*, they should teach the familiar old YEC saws
    about the weaknesses of evolution. Evolution is bad science, they
    say. So to my way of thinking, ID doesn¹t rise above familiar
    antievolutionism, though it may be served up in probability theory
    and information theory with a side order of biochemistry, but there
    is no coherent ID model of what happened for teachers to actually
    teach.

    This invites the question of what, according to the proponents of ID,
    should teachers teach about the following issues?

    1) Is the universe a few thousand years old or billions? Most ID
    proponents will if forced, uncomfortably confess that they accept an
    ancient age of the earth, but they are quick to dismiss the question
    as unimportant, presumably to keep the YECs in the antievolution
    tent. But should a teacher teach that the earth is millions or
    thousands of years old? You can¹t have it both ways if you are
    proposing a K-12 curriculum. What is the ID model? What happened?

    2) Is the geological column which shows a succession of species
    through time, ³real² or an artifact? At least the YECs present a
    model of what happened: the arrangement of species in the geological
    column is a result of sorting by Noah¹s flood, rather than their
    appearance at different times. Does ID accept the geological column
    as ³real²? This is a simple thing to agree to: it is still possible
    to argue (as Jonathan Wells does) that the arrangement of species
    through time doesn¹t represent descent with modification, but Dembski
    et al. are going to have to come clean as to what this means.
    Minimally, it means the Special Creationists are wrong, but it also
    requires the PCs and the TEs to fight it out as to whether the
    succession of species through time represents separate creations or a
    geneological pattern of related species.

    3) Did living things descend with modification from common
    ancestors? This is what biological evolution is all about, and where
    the ID big tent starts showing the strain of trying to stretch over
    incompatible views. How is ID going to accommodate both Theistic
    Evolutionist Michael Behe and Special Creationist Paul Nelson? More
    important, what do proponents of ID expect teachers to teach? What
    happened?

    I think I know the answer. Teachers are supposed to teach that
    evolution didn¹t happen. Of course, if they did, they would be
    teaching a view that is well outside the scientific mainstream, and
    be doing their students no favors. I like to remind people that
    evolution is taught matter-of-factly at every solid university in the
    nation, including Brigham Young, Notre Dame, and Baylor. But more
    importantly for our purposes here, ID does not present a coherent
    model of ³what happened², making it impossible for teachers to
    present ID as an alternative to evolution, as proponents seek.

    Now, maybe Dembski or other ID proponents will tell me that they are
    not trying to influence the K-12 curriculum, that they are merely
    trying to build a scholarly movement at the university or
    intellectual level, trusting that eventually ID will be validated and
    like other intellectual movements, it will trickle down to the K-12
    level. If Dembski had attended my talk, he would have heard me
    advocate exactly this strategy. I don¹t think ID will enter the
    academic mainstream, but if it does, then obviously it will
    eventually be taught in high school. But I don’t think ID proponents
    are willing to wait until they get this validation: Jonathan Wells,
    whose book provides disclaimers to be copied and placed in K-12
    textbooks, is obviously concerned primarily with the K-12 curriculum;
    Philip Johnson’s *Defeating Darwinism* is explicitly aimed at high
    school students; and CRSC¹s Steven Meyer is an author of a
    substantial ³Afterward² to teachers in the ID high school textbook,
    *Of Pandas and People*. Bruce Gordon, presently interim director of
    The Baylor Science and Religion Project, has correctly noted, : ID
    ³has been prematurely drawn into discussions of public science
    education, where it has no business making an appearance without
    broad recognition from the scientific community that it is making a
    worthwhile contribution to our understanding of the natural world²
    (Gordon, 2001).

    So, what happened, Bill? Will you go beyond ³evolution is bad
    science² to give us an actual model of what happened?