Re: What is a species?

From: David F Siemens (dfsiemensjr@juno.com)
Date: Thu Feb 01 2001 - 13:35:23 EST

    As I understand it, the matter of fertility is complicated, which is one
    reason for specifying a population. I believe that there are some genetic
    conditions (immunological ?) which will make two people infertile even
    though they may be fertile with other members of the race. In many plants
    there are anti-selfing loci which prevent fertilization by the plants own
    pollen and by other pollen that is too similar genetically.

    As to genetics, I recall an example from Goldschmidt back in the '40s,
    before there was any genetic testing except by crosses. Lymantria (gypsy
    moth) has a circumpolar "species." Neighboring populations can breed in
    the laboratory, though I do not know if they do naturally. But members of
    the extremes have infertile hybrids with strange morphologies.

    At least some of the argument over "good species" springs from
    populations that have natural barriers preventing interbreeding, but can
    be crossed in the laboratory to produce viable hybrids. Both lumpers and
    splitters have the answer to considering them one or two species.
    Obviously, only those who agree with me are right, or even have a claim
    to be rational.

    A large part of the argument over species is, IMO, "hermeneutical." If
    all species come directly from the hand of God, then a "true species"
    should not interbreed with another one. If species evolved, then there
    should be a continuum from simple interbreeding populations, through
    populations with timing, food, geographical or other isolation mechanism
    that can interbreed in the laboratory, to those with total chromosomal
    mismatch. The practical question is what we find, with opponents yelling,
    "'Tain't so!"

    Another part springs from approach. A natural history approach paints
    with a broad brush, while genomics is very restricted at the present
    time, for we don't have that many species sequenced. But each specialty
    tends to hold that, assuming the availability of evidence, theirs is the
    appropriate definition. But, if species are in flux, any approach has a
    problem with the assumption of stasis.

    Dave