Re: Ethics of human space travel

From: Jonathan Clarke (jdac@alphalink.com.au)
Date: Fri Dec 08 2000 - 15:06:15 EST

    Dick

    No doubt there are more important issues, and doubtless there are immediate personal
    issues which we all face that make such issues seem academic. This does not mean
    that these questions are trivial.

    Geochemical contamination of the moon has already occurred on a significant scale.
    The exhaust gases of the Apollo landers out-massed the entire lunar atmosphere.
    Biological contamination (or should it be transfer?) of the moon has also occurred.

    Exploitation of Martian resources is being seriously discussed for all crewed
    missions. This are likely to occur in the next 20 years.

    The launch from the US of the last two deep space mission carrying nuclear power
    systems (Cassini, Galileo, for example) has been accompanied by protests and court
    action seeking to stop the launch because of the perceived risks.

    These questions are real and now, not hypothetical. They will become more pressing
    as human space exploration continues.

    respectfully

    Jonathan