Re: God after Darwin

From: David F Siemens (dfsiemensjr@juno.com)
Date: Wed Dec 06 2000 - 22:56:22 EST

    On Wed, 6 Dec 2000 09:16:41 -0800 Adrian Teo <ateo@whitworth.edu> writes:
    > Has anybody read the book God after Darwin by John Haught and would
    > be
    > willing to comment on it, please?
    >
    > Adrian

    First, I would call your attention to the review on p. 278 of
    Perspectives for December by Martin LaBar. There is another review by
    John Wilson in Christianity Today, May 22, 2000, pp. 52ff. Michael Behe
    has one on line at
    http://www.pc4rs.org/newsletters/2000_01/Haught_Behe.html.

    Then, I have read the book more than once and engaged in a book
    discussion for several weeks with the faculty at Grand Canyon University.
    I have less use for the book than Martin has. Haught quotes a verse when
    it serves his purpose, usually twisting it to his shape. For example, his
    kenosis applies to the Creator, who lets the world develop progressively
    on its own, though he is an attractor somewhat like Chardin's Omega
    point. (I think the total picture is inconsistent, but demonstration
    would be lengthy.) This forms the basis for his "justification" of evil
    in the world, a hands-off god. What he says of the deity fits the
    pantheism or panentheism of process theology, not the I AM of revelation.
    He does not mention the divine intervention of the incarnation, but has
    an evolutionary development of the universe which ignores the fact that
    the sun is destined to become a red giant and eventually the universe
    will suffer a heat death--unless, as scriptures teach, God intervenes and
    there is a new heavens and a new earth. But he indicates that everything
    will turn out OK through, apparently, natural process. If you want to see
    how to construct a god in the image of man, read Haught. But the book is
    otherwise disappointing. An obvious fault, whether for evangelicals or
    others, is that he posits a number of claims without any justification,
    and uses them to develop his position. Had he presented a reasonable
    argument for his basis, it would have been a better book. But then he
    might have seen its lack of foundation and not written it.

    It has been suggested that this book manifests deconstructionism. I am
    not sufficiently familiar with that version of irrationalism to comment
    rationally on that claim.

    Dave