Re: A comparison of early 1800 apologetics with modern apologetics.

From: PHSEELY@aol.com
Date: Sun Oct 29 2000 - 11:24:14 EST

    Glenn reported

    << Mrs. R.

        “Nor is there any, perhaps, which directly mentions it. But Mr. Penn says,
     that though the earth was created on the first day, it was ‘invisible and
     unfurnished,’ not ‘without forms and void,’ as our translation has it; and
     the sea continued to cover the rocks till the third day, when God said, ‘Let
     the waters under the heaven be gathered together into one place, and let the
     dry land appear,’ and it was so. From this he very plausibly infers, that
     to provide a basin for the waters, in order to collect them into one place,
     a violent disruption and deepening of the solid crust of the earth must have
     taken place, and its solid framework burst, fractured, and subverted in all
     those parts where depression was required to produce the deep bed of the
     ocean. As this first revolution of the earth happened before the creation of
     plants and animals, it explains the circumstance of none of their remains
     being now found in the rocks called primitive.”

     Edward

        “This is, indeed, very ingenious and plausible; but I am disappointed in
     not having a more distinct account of it in the record.

     Mrs. R.

        “Even this Mr. Penn has discovered, in a beautiful passage in the hundred
     and fourth Psalm, which, for anything known to the contrary, may have been
     written by Moses. Christian will favour us by reading what I have marked.”

     Christina

        “’Who laid the foundations of the earth that it should not be moved. Thou
     coverest it with the deep as with a garment: the waters stood above the
     mountains. At thy rebuke they fled; as the voice of thy thunder they hasted
     away. They go up by the mountains; they go down by the valleys into the
     PLACE which thous hast formed for them. Thou didst set a bound that they may
     not pass over; that they turn not again to cover the earth.”

     Mrs. R.

        “Now it appears from this sublime history—from the ‘rebuke’ and the
     ‘thunder,’ that it was a crisis of stupendous and terrible convulsion, when
     the waters of the sea were fixed in their channel, and the dry land and its
     mountains elevated above the level of the great deep.” >>

    There has been a change from this position. Most modern flood geologists
    interpret Ps 104 as a reference to the Flood, not the creation as here; and
    the subject of Ps 104:8 as the land rising and falling, not the waters
     as here. Penn's interpretation is the historical and contextual
    interpretation. The modern creation science interpretation is ad hoc. As I
    titled my paper (Sept, 99 Perspectives) dealing with the modern view:
    "Creation Science takes Psalm 104:6-9 out of Context". So, you see, Glenn,
    flood geolgists can change. (-:

    Paul