On Glenn's coment

From: John Burgeson (burgy@compuserve.com)
Date: Thu Oct 26 2000 - 12:28:52 EDT

    Glenn noted, in a recent post:

    " I would point out to the Cranach Institute that Dembski by his own
    admission,
    engaged in a blatant case of disobeying his boss. When you do that you
    should be prepared to pay the consequences without squawking."

    That, in a nutshell, is the whole point. Glenn argues, and I agree with
    him, that
    Dembski committed a very understandable, but altogether human, error in so
    doing
    and that the consequences which followed are to be expected.

    It is OK to disobey the boss if you are prepared to take the consequences.
    That's what Luther did.

    There were many times when I opposed decisions made by my management at
    IBM.
    In some cases, they were wrong and I was right. But I did not take my
    disagreements to the press, for heaven's sake! I fought them out within the

    structure of the business. Yes -- even breaking the chain of command
    in a couple of cases, but still keeping it within the business. And when
    the decision
    did not go my way, in one instance at least I simply requested (and
    received) a transfer
    out of the situation, one which cost me money, but that was the price I was
    prepared to pay to not work on something I saw as a self-defeating project.

    It would have been oh-so-easy for me to have called up the editors of
    DATAMATION
    and told them about the problems. If I would have done so, I would have
    expected to
    be fired, or at least asked to resign. People should not do that unless
    there is a moral or public safety issue involved; even in those cases there
    are
    necessary consequences and one should be prepared to face them.

    As I understand my friend Joe Carson's case, he went to the press, because
    there were public safety issues involved. And he paid a great price. And I
    think
    he'd do it again, even knowng now that the price was a lot higher than he
    had
    anticipated. I admire him.

    I respect Bill Dembski, and his work, a lot. But in this case, what Glenn
    writes
    above is the simple facts. It is time to move on.

    Burgy