Re: Different bodyplans

From: John Burgeson (burgy@compuserve.com)
Date: Mon Oct 23 2000 - 17:12:22 EDT

    >>I didn't see the article, but it sounds like a species of aphid.
    According to
    my "very old" Text by Comstock some species have wingless females that
    reproduce parthenogeneticlly until the host become crowded then a
    generation
    appears that develops wings and moves to a secondary host which also
    reproduce
    parthenogenetically. After several generations of again wingless forms, a
    winged form appears and moves back to the primary host and reproduces
    sexually.

    There is so much variation that it's quite confusing and as I say, I don't
    have
    up to date info., but the aphids sounds like a possibility.>>

    Interesting about the aphids. But unless my memory is failing altogether,
    it was not
    aphids which were being described. I'd have recognized the word "aphids"
    and whatever
    these beasties were was a name I did not recognize at all.

    I went through all the "piles" of "good stuff I must read someday" and did
    not locate
    the article. If I do...

    Burgy