RE: TE-man

From: glenn morton (glenn.morton@btinternet.com)
Date: Thu Oct 19 2000 - 14:50:24 EDT

    > Allen Roy wrote:
    >
    > It is life that was
    > put
    > into the body, not a soul into a body.
    >
    > I say (thinking hard):
    >
    > This is crucial, and I think Allen is right. If we
    > take a non-dualistic view of personhood (which is,
    > again, debatable), and if we hold evolution to be near
    > to true (which is not very debatable), then every
    > animal, every corporate being, must have a soul
    > (life). That has to include dogs, caterpillars,
    > spiders, amoebes, or at least all animals in the
    > evolutionary line of descent to human beings. We are
    > holding for true that God did not on any occasion in
    > the history of life put or breathe a soul into man,
    > but merely that life itself (that somehow is from
    > God), inherent in all animals including man, is what
    > make out for what we today name 'soul.'

    This is truly a sticky subject. I ran into the following today and like it
    or not, we need to deal with things like this from the point of view of the
    'soul'.

    "Tell someone they have the intelilgence of a slime mold and you will
    actually be giving them a compliment.
            "Scientists in Japan and Hungary have shown that the slime mold Physarum
    polycephalum can figure out the shortest distance through a maze. The
    research appears in the latest issue of the journal Nature.
            "The researchers placed portions of the mold throughout a tiny maze. Over
    time, the mold portions grew toward one another forming a large organism
    with many extensions that snaked through the maze.
            "Next the scientists put food at the entrance and exit to the maze. The
    mold responded by retracting many of its extensions. Eventually, the only
    ones that remained were the extensions that lay along the shortest route
    between the entrance and the exit.
            "Finding the shortest distance between two sources of food is advantageous
    for the slime mold, the scientists said. It is the most efficient way to get
    food and increases the chance for survival.
            "The scientists wrote that 'this remarkable process of cellular compuation
    implies that cellular materials can show a primitive intelligence.", Sue
    Goetinck Ambrose, "Mold's Amazing Feats Suggest a Primitive Sort of
    Intelligence," Dallas Morning News, Oct. 2, 2000, p. F1.

    > But this does not at all solve my problem. Still we
    > have to ask; what makes man unique (compared to all
    > other animals from which he has descended, and from
    > which he has life/soul)? Even worse to explain; what
    > makes it possible for man to communicate with God?

    Language is what separates us from the animals. Our language is unique and
    occurs in a different part of the brain than animal calls and
    communications. Pinker writes:

            "Language is obviously as different from other animals' communication
    systems as the elephant's trunk is different from other animals' nostrils.
    Nonhuman communication systems are based on one of three designs: a finite
    repertory of calls (one for warnings of predators, one for claims to
    territory, and so on), a continuous analog signal that registers the
    magnitude of some state (the livelier the dance of the bee, the richer the
    food source that it is telling its hivemates about), or a series of random
    variations on a theme (a birdsong repeated with a new twist each time:
    Charlie Parker with feathers). As we have seen, human language has a very
    different design. The discrete combinatorial system called 'grammar' makes
    human language infinite (there is no limit to the number of complex words or
    sentences in a language), digital (this infinity is achieved by rearranging
    discrete elements in particular orders and combinations, not by varying some
    signal along a continuum like the mercury in a thermometer), and
    compositional (each of the infinite combinations has a different meaning
    predictable from the meanings of its parts and the rules and principles
    arranging them).
            "Even the seat of human language in the brain is special. The vocal calls
    of primates are controlled not by their cerebral cortex but by
    phylogenetically older neural structures in the brain stem and limbic
    system, structures that are heavily involved in emotion. Human vocalizations
    other than language, like sobbing, laughing, moaning, and shouting in pain,
    are also controlled subcortically. Subcortical structures even control the
    swearing that follows the arrival of a hammer on a thumb, that emerges as an
    involuntary tic in Tourette's syndrome, and that can survive as Broca's
    aphasics' only speech. Genuine language, as we saw in the preceding chapter,
    is seated in the cerebral cortex, primarily the left perisylvian region." ~
    Steven Pinker, The Language Instinct, (New York: Harper/Perennial, 1994), p.
    334

    And I would re-iterate here, that any ancient hominid, be it Neanderthal, H.
    erectus or Australopithecus which possessed language, even a primitive
    language, is human!
    glenn

    see http://www.flash.net/~mortongr/dmd.htm