Re: ID

From: Marcio Pie (pie@bu.edu)
Date: Wed Oct 18 2000 - 12:44:38 EDT

    At 10:44 AM 10/18/00 -0700, you wrote:
    >We're back to ID! I have two unrelated questions, at least I thinks
    >they are unrelated.
    >
    >1. Does anyone know of literature that explores the relationship
    >between ID and evolutionary psychology (aka [also known as]
    >sociobiology, behavioural ecology)?

    Short note here. Evolutionary psychology, sociobiology and behavioral
    ecology are not the same thing. EP deals with "selfish-gene" centered
    explanations of human behavioral patterns, most of which constitute only
    "adaptive story telling". Sociobiology formed the basis for EP, but has a
    much broader scope and deals with the evolutionary basis of all social
    behavior, including mating patterns, parental care and group hunting.
    Behavioral ecology is a branch of evolutionary ecology which deals mainly
    with mathematical models of behavioral patterns, including optimal foraging
    and antipredation strategies. There is some overlap, but they are different
    disciplines.

    Marcio