atheist/theist debate

From: Moorad Alexanian (alexanian@uncwil.edu)
Date: Mon Oct 16 2000 - 13:57:01 EDT

    My debate with the atheist, professor of religion, took place last
    Thursday---funny the physicist is the theist and the professor of philosophy
    is the atheist. It is like me teaching Astrology in the physics department.
    The format was fifteen minutes each and then Q & A from the audience. The
    auditorium sits 308 and it was standing room only. The atheist spoke first
    and as I had anticipated he raised the issue of transcendence of God and the
    question of evil in the world as objections to the existence or questioning
    of the existence of God. I emphasized what science is and what it is not.
    In particular, that physics is the prototype of science and that all the
    data that constitutes the subject matter of physics is collected by
    mechanical, electrical devices--not humans. I mentioned, therefore, that
    materialism or naturalism places physics as the discipline that explains all
    that exists--the physical universe, as well as, humans, free will,
    conscience, etc. This philosophical position claims that the subject
    matter of physics is everything that there is. The second part of my
    presentation was my witness of a Christian and claiming that the Christian
    worldview is most all-encompassing and that it explains the totality of
    human experience. There was a multitude of questions and one could see the
    genuine interest on the part of students. At least here in North Carolina it
    seems that students are hungry for explanations of how to conduct and judge
    their personal experiences and conduct. My wife Mary was in the audience
    and said that it went very well. Only once my atheist friend sighed, a la
    Gore, when I mentioned that according to the Christian worldview it was not
    consistent to be all concerned about the fate of whales and still be
    pro-abortion. I want to thank all those who prayed for me and advised me
    for this debate. I think it was a good witness to our Lord. There were
    faculty members in the audience as well. Moorad

    P.s. It seems that Physics Today is going to publish my letter in the Novemb
    er issue that deals with the question of what is science. I shall post the
    material when it comes out.