Re: Fw: Please look at the picture, then forward it]]

From: psiigii (psiigii@home.com)
Date: Sun Oct 15 2000 - 00:05:48 EDT

    I encourage you to check the "Urban Legends" web sites if you are wondering
    about
    things like this. The San Fernando Valley Historical Society's "Urban
    Legends" page
    posted the following on "Kelsey Jones" (copied partially)
    http://www.snopes.com

    >"Origins: This "missing child alert" began circulating on the Internet on
    12 October
    >1999, a day after the youngster was reported missing and found, safe and
    sound,
    >playing at a neighbor's house a few hours after her mother claimed she'd
    last seen her.
    >No one knows what prompted the mother, Amy Wolkenhauer, to call the police
    >instead of checking a few doors away to see if the little one was there or,
    if not, if the
    >neighbors had seen the tot head out somewhere, but that is what happened.

    >At this point it's not clearly known if the distraught mother authored the
    Internet appeal
    >attributed to her or not. (It appears she did, but there remains room for
    doubt.) Even
    >more uncertain is who wrote the 14 October follow-up which claims after one
    full day of
    >being missing the child had been rescued by the police from a mentally
    handicapped
    >man who'd abducted her from a public library her preschool class had been
    visiting.

    >The photo attached to the appeal (which we've chosen not to display on this
    page) may
    >or may not be one of Kelsey Brooke Jones. That too is unknown at this
    point.

    >The important thing to keep in mind is this: Don't forward the appeal. The
    child isn't now
    >missing, nor was she ever abducted.

    >According to the Faribault Minnesota police, an officer took a missing
    child report at the
    >Wolkenhauer home at 9:15 PM on 11 October 1999. (The press release put out
    by the
    >department incorrectly gives the date as 10 October.) The mother said she'd
    fallen asleep
    >and awakened to find the child not in the apartment.

    >After speaking with the mother and jotting down the particulars, the
    officer assigned to the
    >case found Kelsey within minutes by knocking on doors in the housing
    complex. No report
    >was filed with the National Crime Information Center because the child had
    never been
    >missing..."

    A web search will lead you to several such "urban legends" sites, most of
    which extensively
    document their work.

                                                                    Howard