Evolution and SATs

From: Allan Harvey (aharvey@boulder.nist.gov)
Date: Fri Oct 06 2000 - 14:48:59 EDT

    I see that others have now made most of the points I wanted to (AOL is
    eating my attempts to send outgoing e-mails from that account), but I'll
    summarize what I see as the most relevant:

    First and foremost, THE SAT DOES NOT TEST SCIENCE KNOWLEDGE. It has a
    Verbal part (vocabulary and reading comprehension) and a Math part. No
    science at all. So SAT scores are no measure of scientific knowledge and
    the analysis Allen Roy gave is meaningless.

    It *might* be interesting to see such a comparison with a widely given test
    of science knowledge, if there is one. Even then, there would be major
    problems:

    1) The Kansas creationist standards were only recently instituted, so have
    had no chance to affect anything. One might look for lower science test
    scores in 2006 or so if they remain in place. For an effect in the
    present, one might look at Alabama, which has had an anti-evolution
    "disclaimer" in place for a few years.

    2) Test scores are strongly correlated with other factors; in particular a
    state's results would depend on the fraction of students from impoverished
    or otherwise disadvantaged backgrounds and also the fraction who did not
    have English as a first language. On both of these counts, Kansas is
    better off than most states. One could examine the same state before and
    after a change in educational standards, but even then it would be
    difficult to separate that from other factors.

    | Dr. Allan H. Harvey | aharvey@boulder.nist.gov |
    | Physical and Chemical Properties Division | "Don't blame the |
    | National Institute of Standards & Technology | government for what I |
    | 325 Broadway, Boulder, CO 80305 | say, or vice versa." |