Uranium and Thorium

From: Lawrence Johnston (johnston@uidaho.edu)
Date: Tue Oct 03 2000 - 12:02:02 EDT

    Glenn and other ASAPHILES:

    Does anyone here know of estimates of the available supplies of elements for
    producing power from fission reactors? I presume that this would be Uranium and
    Thorium.
            I find it ironic that the USA is largely depriving itself of this valuable energy
    source, when we developed it here, and the rest of the world is using it more than
    we are.
            In facing safety issues, we have been swayed by the "logic" that it would be
    better to kill 10 people in coal mine accidents and atmospheric contamination from
    burning coal, than to kill one person in a reactor accident. Somehow it would seem
    so "weird" do die from something Nuclear.
            The only person I know of in this country who has been killed by radiation from a
    fission reaction is Louis Slotin, who was performing a "critical mass" experiment at
    Los Alamos, soon after I left there in 1945. Slotin lived for several days, after
    first writing up the whole sad episode in his laboratory notebook, presumably with
    recommendations for performing such experiments by remote control, in the future.
            We need to take a realistic look at our options! That's my 3¢ worth.
                                                    Larry

    "He has made everything beautiful in its time. He has also set
     eternity in the hearts of men" - - Ecclesiastes 3:11, NIV trans

    Lawrence H. Johnston 917 E. 8th st.
    professor of physics, emeritus Moscow, Id 83843
    University of Idaho (208) 882-2765
    http://www.uidaho.edu/~johnston/ =====================