Fwd: ON SUBJECT OF 'E,' OHIO RANKS AN 'F'

From: Ted Davis (tdavis@messiah.edu)
Date: Thu Sep 28 2000 - 09:13:49 EDT

    attached mail follows:

    The Columbus Dispatch
    September 27, 2000, Wednesday

    ON SUBJECT OF 'E,' OHIO RANKS AN 'F'

    BYLINE: David Lore, Dispatch Science Reporter

    Biology teachers Linda Duellman and Sean Smith work in neighboring schools on
    the Far East Side, but their teaching about the origins of life is miles
    apart.

    Duellman, at Walnut Ridge High School, teaches the scientific theory of
    evolution.

    "It's only discussed as a theory,'' she said. "It should not disturb any
    faith or personal belief to be taught a theory.''

    Six blocks away, at Liberty Christian Academy, Smith teaches "100 percent
    creation belief.''

    "I'll mention the theory of evolution, but in the main we teach what we
    believe.''

    A national study issued yesterday says that Ohio needs to do a much better
    job of guiding at least its public-school teachers through the thorny thicket
    of origins.

    Ohio's reluctance to even use the word evolution in its biology standards has
    earned the state a failing grade in a comparison of how the states handle the
    topic.

    The survey, conducted by retired California physicist Lawrence Lerner for the
    Thomas B. Fordham Foundation and the American Association for the Advancement
    of Science, found 31 states with satisfactory standards in regard to
    evolution and 18 -- including Ohio -- deficient.

    The Fordham Foundation is a private education research foundation. The AAAS
    is a nationally recognized organization of scientists and educators that
    publishes Science magazine. Both organizations support the teaching of
    evolution.

    The report card was based on an assessment of state education standards, not
    on the practices of specific schools or school districts.

    "Evolution treated here as if it were not proper conversation in polite
    company,'' Lerner wrote in awarding the Ohio standards an "F.''

    Neighboring Indiana and Pennsylvania each earned an "A.'' Indiana's education
    system presents "an exemplary, straightforward treatment,'' Lerner wrote.

    Many religious conservatives oppose the teaching of evolution or ask that
    public schools give equal time to creationism.

    While creationism comes in various forms, it generally is the belief that,
    despite relatively minor adaptations over time, today's species are those
    created by God as described in the Bible. Creationists, for example, reject
    the notion that man and ape evolved from a common ancestor.

    Although state standards influence what is put in textbooks and proficiency
    tests, they don't necessarily control what teachers actually teach, Lerner
    said in an interview.

    Lerner's main objection to the Ohio standards is the State Board of
    Education's reluctance to actually use the word evolution.

    "If you don't mention evolution, you lose 20 points on the grading scale I
    developed,'' he said.

    State "grades,'' he explained, are based on several criteria, including
    whether the standards use the "e-word,'' how they treat geologic and cosmic
    evolution, and whether they specifically address human evolution.

    "Ohio's (12th-grade) language is better than nothing -- it's just basic
    biology,'' said Eugenie Scott, director of the California-based National
    Center for Science Education.

    The Ohio standard covers the mechanics of evolution but -- in avoiding the
    word itself -- doesn't require that students understand the underlying
    theory, she said. "A teacher can just talk about mosquitoes and students will
    not recognize that these changes are a component of evolution, that living
    things share common ancestors.''

    Lerner and Scott agree that the big unknown is what teachers are actually
    telling students about evolution theory.

    As a public-school teacher, Duellman said she doesn't introduce creation
    theories but doesn't object if students do. "I might mention there are other
    theories, but I don't teach them,'' she said.

    Duellman said she focuses more on biological mechanics, such as genetics,
    than on philosophical discussions about where people come from. "But it
    always comes up,'' she said.

    "Students are familiar with the pictures from the textbooks of the monkeys
    walking along and eventually walking upright as a man. So they ask, 'Is that
    (evolution) the theory that we came from monkeys?' ''

    At Liberty Christian Academy, Smith said, "Generally, I stick with the
    curriculum and the curriculum does address both, although it addresses
    evolution to a very small amount. But it does mention both ideas, and some of
    the issues.''

    Teachers in Catholic schools are expected to talk about Darwin and God, said
    Jim Grove, director of school culture for the Diocese of Columbus.

    "We don't see these as being opposed,'' he said. "We see this as a great
    opportunity to weave these things together.

    "In our graded course of study for science, we clearly talk about the
    different theories of evolution that exist in the science classroom and look
    at the whole concept of God and creation.''.

    Theresa Bowser, a Bishop Ready High School biology teacher who has degrees in
    archaeology, said she teaches that there is no contradiction between the
    Bible and the theory of evolution.

    Her students, she said, "are pretty vocal and ask a lot of questions about
    this.''

    "I think they're satisfied because I'm not negating everything they've
    learned. They feel relieved because they don't have to give up their faith or
    give up science. There's no need to choose.''

    While church schools are free to teach the Bible, public schools are required
    by the Constitution and the courts to keep religion out of the science
    classroom.

    Scott said her concern is not that public schools are teaching the wrong
    things but that they may not be teaching anything.

    "I think the most widespread behavior is just dropping evolution,'' she said.
    "Actual teaching of creationism (in public school) is a minor element.''

    "Every public school has a graded course of study,'' said Lynn Elfner,
    director of the Ohio Academy of Science. "Whether anybody pays any attention
    to it is another thing. It comes down to the classroom teacher and what he or
    she is comfortable with.''

    The report is available on the Fordham Foundation's Web site at www.
    edexcellence.net.

    GRAPHIC: Photo, Graphi, (1) Eric Albrecht / Dispatch Linda Duellman, a
    biology teacher at Walnut Ridge High School, teaches the scientific theory of
    evolution to her students. Ohio's reluctance to even use the word evolution
    in its biology standards has earned the state a failing grade in a national
    comparison of how the states handle the topic. (2) Graphi