Re: Oil resources on NPR

From: Darryl Maddox (dpmaddox@arn.net)
Date: Thu Sep 28 2000 - 09:19:56 EDT

    This illustrates a couple of things I think are seriously wrong with our
    open communication society. While I would not want to prohibit anyone from
    offering their opinion I do think :
    1) people who speak publically should feel an individual responsibility to
    be sure they have things right before they start talking;
    2) those interviewing them have just as much responsibility to be sure of
    the facts before broadcasting the interview;
    3) the listener, or reader, or viewer had better be aware that there are
    many people talking who don't know the facts;
    4) some peole just don't care about the facts as long as they can convince
    someone to either do or believe what they want them to do or believe; and
    finally
    5) even when everyone knows their stuff it is sometimes difficult to
    correctly and fully answer a question so that non-experts will understand
    the answer and the situation in the 15-30 seconds, or even a couple of
    minutes, that most broadcast interviews last.

    I had a really good experience with this a few weeks ago when a local TV
    journalist interviewed me concerning the spat of earthquakes we had recently
    had. He came to the college, had his camera man with him, and we talked
    for about 45 minutes while looking at maps etc. Less than 30 seconds of
    what I said were included in his broadcast but he combined it with an
    equally short excerpt from an interview with a woman whose house was very
    slightly damaged to create a 1-2 minute news story that was accurate,
    relevant, and timely. He did a very nice job. So, we know it can be done,
    now to ask why isn't it done more often? Beats me, I don't teach
    journalism.

    Darryl