Voice heard by Paul's companions on Damascus road

From: pruest@pop.dplanet.ch
Date: Mon Sep 18 2000 - 13:32:52 EDT

    Gordon Brown wrote:

    >I don't know whether or not this is one of the solutions proposed by F. F.
    >Bruce, but it has been pointed out that the accounts in Acts 9 and Acts 22
    >differ in the case of the word for voice--accusative vs. genitive.

    F. Blass & A. Debrunner, "Grammatik des neutestamentlichen Griechisch"
    (Göttingen: Vandenhoek & Ruprecht, 1965, 12th ed.), comment on p.114
    (translated from German):
    "With akouein (to hear), the classical rule: genitive for the person one
    hears talking, accusative for the thing (or person) about which (whom)
    one hears." But later (same page) they add: "akouein phonen (to hear a
    voice) in the sense of a perception: ... in Acts and Rev. both cases
    mixed up: accusative ... Acts 22:9 ... genitive Acts 9:7 ..."

    Nevertheless, despite their qualification, I suspect that by using the
    genitive in Acts 9:7, Luke emphasizes that Paul's companions heard a
    voice of a person talking (implied: they didn't understand what he was
    saying), whereas by using the accusative in Acts 22:9, he emphasizes
    that they didn't get the message that was being conveyed (implied: about
    the person of Jesus who was talking with Paul).

    Peter