Re: atheism vs theism

From: Steve Petermann (SteveGP@email.msn.com)
Date: Wed Sep 13 2000 - 15:40:52 EDT

    George,

    Well, OK but ..... I think the recent experiments subjecting human brains to
    electrical stimulation which thereby produces "religious like" effects in
    the
    patient is pretty strong support for the atheistic side and needs to "keep
    in
    mind" :-)

    I think the best responce is to agree that all religious experienc is in the
    mind. Where else would it be?
    We are very, very physical.
    <<<<<<<<<

    I agree, we are physical beings and religious experience happens in the
    brain. Any other tact promotes a dualism that is hard to support. If,
    however, it is granted that we are physical creatures that does not entail
    that religious experience is strictly material. There are a number of
    naturalistic theist models that affirm both the physical realm and the
    metaphysical realm. In fact most religions and particularly Christianity
    claim that God *acts* in creation. But if God acts in the physical world
    then there must be some causal joint. Various Christian
    theologians/philosophers( i.e. Barbour, Peacocke, Polkinghorne, Russel,
    Murphy, et al ) have offered scientifically based proposals on this causal
    joint. In all those proposals God acts without violating natural processes.
    Others like David Ray Griffin make proposals based on process thought.
    Unfortunately the "naturalistic theism" of these scholars is not very well
    know. That is unfortunate because I think they offer intellectually honest
    alternatives that even some atheists could embrace.

    Best,
    Steve Petermann