Unitarian (and other) Universalist

From: bivalve (bivalve@mail.davidson.alumlink.com)
Date: Thu Sep 07 2000 - 13:44:48 EDT

    >>I don't know if they maintain the name, but at one time there was a Unitarian-Universalist Church. My recollection is that it was an amalgamation of two groups with the separate names.

    Yes, the Unitarians (i.e., no trinity) and the Universalists joined some time ago.

    What do you get if you cross a Unitarian Universalist with a Jehovah's Witness? Someone who goes around knocking on doors for no apparent reason.

    Universalism goes back at least to Origen, a major reason why he is considered too heterodox to officially rank as a church father.

    C. S. Lewis has some possibly helpful images of heaven versus hell in The Last Battle, Pilgrim's Regress, and the Great Divorce.

    Dr. David Campbell
        "Old Seashells"

        NEW ADDRESS AS OF 8/21/00
        Biology Department
        Saint Mary's College of Maryland
        18952 E. Fisher Road
        St. Mary's City, MD 20686-3001 USA
        dcampbell@osprey.smcm.edu, 301 862-0372 Fax: 301 862-0996

        "He had discovered an unknown bivalve, forming a new genus"-E. A. Poe, The Gold Bug