Re: common ancestry

From: glenn morton (mortongr@flash.net)
Date: Thu Jul 27 2000 - 17:09:22 EDT

    Paul Nelson wrote:

    >So when I hear that molecules have affirmed the monophyly
    >of the arthropods (or whatever), I say maybe, maybe not:
    >how much of the result should I believe? The ongoing instability
    >of metazoan phylogeny is not confidence-inspiring.

    I might point out that the fossil evidence is entirely consistent with
    monophyly of the arthropods. For years anti-evolutionists claimed that
    there was no evidence of phyla level evolution, but as it turns out, there
    is. Surprise surprise. See

    http://www.flash.net/~mortongr/cambevol.htm

    The fossil evidence shows a nice progression from worms to arthropods.

    By the way, Paul, for 3 months now I have asked the Discovery Institute to
    correct a small error on their web page concerning the inflated (and I
    might add boastful) claim that Dembski presented a plenary paper at the
    Nature of Nature conference. I was there, he didn't and I have the program
    to prove it. I have talked to Jay Richards 2 or 3 times, to you at least 2
    times, and others if I recall correctly. I really can't believe that no
    one at the Discovery Instutute has had the 5 minutes it would take to
    correct this obvious inflation of Dembski's place at the conference. Does
    the Discovery Inst. not care for truth when it comes to the activities of
    their fellows?

    For those on this list, I have tried for 3 months to get this error
    corrected because many of my atheist friends, who are critics of DI, are
    saying it is just another example of their failure to care about the truth.
    Dembski didn't give a plenary paper in spite of the patently false claim on
    the web page:

    http://www.discovery.org/news/baylorConfUpdate.html

    See for your self. The fact that no one has done anything about it for 3
    months, in spite of my pleas, sure seems to confirm my friends' criticisms.
    glenn

    Foundation, Fall and Flood
    Adam, Apes and Anthropology
    http://www.flash.net/~mortongr/dmd.htm