Re: To Bob re: Macroevol. and N.S.

From: Paul Nelson (pnelson2@ix.netcom.com)
Date: Mon Jul 24 2000 - 06:16:20 EDT

    Doug Hayworth wrote:

    > If one does NOT accept common ancestry
    > (or, speaking in terms of forward time,
    > speciation), then there is nothing left
    > worth discussing with him/her relating
    > to evolution. Such a person has turned
    > him/herself off to the validity of my
    > entire scientific discipline at such a
    > fundamental level that we are without
    > any common ground.

    I take it that by "common ancestry," Doug means the
    theory of the monophyly (or shared common ancestry)
    of life on Earth, where any extinct or extant organism
    shares at least one organismal ancestor in common
    with any other organism, namely, the Last Common
    Ancestor, often abbreviated LCA or LUCA.

    If so, then one can certainly reject or doubt this theory
    and remain fully within the discipline of evolutionary
    biology. I reproduce here a portion of a post I sent
    recently to another list:

    [excerpt begins]

    The molecular evolutionist W. Ford Doolittle
    of Dalhousie University continues to cast doubt
    on the historical existence of the LUCA -- i.e.,
    the Last Universal Common Ancestor, the Urparent
    at the base of Darwin's Tree of Life. In his most
    recent article, "The nature of the universal ancestor
    and the evolution of the proteome," _Current Opinion
    in Structural Biology_ 10 (2000):355-358, Doolittle
    argues that if the LUCA did exist, it was a cell
    unlike any we know, packed with a great range of
    biochemistries now distributed separately among
    various groups of prokaryotes:

       ...there is a very large pool of genes shared among
       contemporary bacteria and archaea that are never all
       (or even mostly) found in any one bacterial or archaeal
       genome. If we follow the simple rule of parsimony
       without LGT [lateral gene transfer], we wind up with a
       *totipotent ancestor*, with a proteome [protein profile]
       considerably more complex than that of any modern
       prokaryote. This cell must have been capable of almost
       the full range of the autotrophic and heterotrophic,
       anaerobic and aerobic biochemistries separately found
       among all the diverse prokaryotes in today's microbiota!
       (p. 356, emphasis in original)

    Under the heading, "Is a single universal ancestral cell or
    species really necessary?" Doolittle answers No. And
    note his choice of an illustrative parallel case:

         Thus, there is no more reason to imagine only a single
         first kind of cell as the progenitor of all contemporary
         life than there is to imagine only Adam and Eve as
         progenitors of the human species. (p. 356)

    In the concluding section of his paper, Doolittle grapples
    with the consequences of his view for the standard definition
    of homology (i.e., similarity due to common ancestry).

    [end of excerpt]

    See also UCLA biologist Malcolm Gordon's article, "The
    Concept of Monophyly: A Speculative Essay," _Biology and
    Philosophy_ 14 (1999):331-348. Gordon argues that the
    concept of monophyly [common ancestry] "at the macro-
    scales of evolutionary differentiation appears to be
    severely limited....the phenomenon of a monophyletic
    origin for the universal tree of life probably did not
    occur" (p. 343).

    These are minority viewpoints, of course. Most evolutionary
    biologists accept the monophyly of life as a background theory
    in their day-to-day research.

    But that's not the point at issue. It is increasingly possible
    to cast doubt on monophyly at various levels in the taxonomic
    hierarchy without stepping outside the arena of reasonable
    scientific discourse.

    Paul Nelson
    Senior Fellow
    The Discovery Institute