Dawkins

From: Dale K Stalnaker (Dale.K.Stalnaker@grc.nasa.gov)
Date: Mon Jul 24 2000 - 12:53:50 EDT

    >Does anyone know if Dawkins ever made a quote (in his book or in public
    >statement) to the effect that evolution disproves God, or that the
    >universe is all there is (like Sagan did), or something similar?
    >
    >Thanks!
    >Wendee
    > ~~ Wendee Holtcamp -- wendee@greendzn.com ~~
    > ~~ Environment/Travel/Science Writer ~~ www.greendzn.com ~~
    >~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    > No man is an island, entire of itself; every man is a piece
    > of the continent, a part of the main. -- John Donne

    Wendee,

    You may already be familiar with the web site entitled "World of
    Dawkins" <http://www.world-of-dawkins.com/>. This site has a lot of
    information about Dawkin's quotes and ideas. Specifically look up his
    quotes regarding God/religion
    at <http://www.world-of-dawkins.com/quotes.htm >. Quotes are taken from
    several books, such as "Blind Watchmaker" and "Selfish Gene".

    There is an excerpt about a lecture regarding the existance (or
    improbability) of God at
    http://www.world-of-dawkins.com/religion.htm
    that can be summarized as saying that the "God hypothesis" is superfluous
    and doesn't really explain anything. Some of it is quoted below. Dawkins
    is making a strong case for agnosticism, if not athiesm. He obviously
    feels that the universe is all that there is, and there is no supernatural
    realm.

    Personally (as a Christian) when I read quotes like these, I feel that
    faith is needed because we cannot always expect to find physical evidence
    to positively support what we believe. Jesus says in John 20:29 "blessed
    are those who have not seen and yet have believed."

    Regards,

    Dale Stalnaker

    Dale K. Stalnaker
    NASA/Glenn Research Center