Re: natural selection in salvation history (was Johnson//evolutionimplies atheism)

From: dfsiemensjr@juno.com
Date: Mon Jul 24 2000 - 11:40:00 EDT

    On Sun, 23 Jul 2000 20:57:08 -0400 George Murphy <gmurphy@raex.com>
    writes:
    > dfsiemensjr@juno.com wrote:
    > > However, I will say dogmatically
    > > that all scientific explanation will be in terms of natural
    > events, just
    > > as the scientific explanation of the Big Bang can only work back
    > as far
    > > as 10^-43 sec after the event. Calling the Big Bang "creation" is
    > outside
    > > of the scientific explanation.
    >
    > To the 2d sentence & 1st 1/2 of the 1st, yes. "Creation" in
    > the strict sense
    > is a theological term, & natural science deals with natural
    > phenomena. But limitation
    > of scientific explanation to t > 10^-43 sec is a statement about the
    > current state of
    > physics & may be made obsolete by an adequate quantum theory of
    > gravity. Of course that
    > will still not mean that physics can answer all our questions - such
    > as why the
    > pattern described by that theory is instantiated.
    > Shalom,
    > George

    I stand corrected for not anticipating the unified field theory. But a
    question remains in my mind. I understood that the Big Bang is a
    singularity and that science cannot explain singularities. Does that mean
    that we cannot get back to t=0? Or have I misunderstood? Or, to take a
    different tack, if the eventual quantum gravity supports the "bubble" or
    "manu universe" approach, would that mean that the Big Bang was not a
    singularity?

    Dave