Re: "open letter to Paul Gross"

From: Bryan R. Cross (crossbr@SLU.EDU)
Date: Mon Jul 24 2000 - 11:21:01 EDT

    Wendee Holtcamp wrote:

    >Also, the question of whether natural selection is adequate to account
    for "the larger-scale patterns of morphological evolution
    >(‘macroevolution’)" is essentially a scientific question
    and not a theological one.

    Yes.

    >Science is such that as time moved forward, holes in theories are
    filled in, questions are answered and new questions are
    >raised. If another mechanism besides natural selection is proposed that
    fits data, then that will help scientists understand
    >evolution to a greater extent. That doesn't mean that natural selection
    does not happen or is not valid, or does not account for
    >some macroevolution. Science is ever-changing. But I agree with Dave
    that we are not going to put God in a test tube!
    >I don't understand why some Christians are so set against "defeating
    Darwin" - it is really a ridiculous and fruitless pursuit.

    Something I see quite often is the conflation of the scientific question
    you mentioned above with the theological question you mention here. They
    are two distinct questions. In my experience more critics of intelligent
    design confuse the theological and scientific questions (as you and Dave
    do here) than do proponents of ID.

    >The whole premise of ID is a little bit appalling ethically.

    On June 29 you wrote, "What the heck is this intelligent design theory
    anyway. I have heard it used for 4 years or so but have not the foggiest
    what it theorizes." In three weeks or so, you have apparently moved from
    ignorance concerning ID, to a sufficient understanding to make public
    pronouncements of ethical disgust. I responded to your June 29 query
    with this answer: "ID theory is the claim that intelligent design is
    empirically detectable and that evidence for intelligent design can be
    found in various scientific disciplines (e.g. cosmology, biology)." I
    suggest you study ID a bit more before publicly making ethical
    pronouncements against it. Having studied both ethics and ID myself, I
    do not see that the basic ID thesis exhibits any ethical transgression
    whatsoever.

    >It is actually a fascinating idea, trying to test whether there are
    signs of
    >intelligent design in nature. But if they do their research properly
    and if find out NO, there are not, then what? Will they >discard their
    hypothesis and say "oops, we were wrong."

    Again notice the confusion of the ID thesis (i.e. "idea") with ID
    proponents (i.e. "they"). One of the beauties of specific ID claims is
    that they are falsifiable in just the way you describe. Whether ID
    proponents are intellectually honest or not, and will admit when they
    are wrong, is not the issue in question (although I believe that most of
    them are intellectually honest). The issue is whether the basic ID
    thesis and specific ID claims are true or false.

    >Will it harm the cause of Christianity, whereby even more scientists
    laugh at
    >the notion of God because the ID hypothesis turns out wrong?

    Only if Christian apologists have pinned God as the intelligent designer
    behind certain features of nature. Besides, ID proponents are not
    pragmatists about truth, and they don't try to avoid going where the
    evidence leads just because there might be theological implications. In
    general, they firmly believe that all truth is God's truth. They want
    the truth, even if it 'hurts' their present religious views; even if it
    forces them to revise their theology.

    >Not that it would indeed disprove the existence of God, of
    >course, but non-believers and particularly some of the materialist
    types will seize on anything to promote the idea that "God is
    >dead."

    True. But bad reasoning is bad reasoning no matter who engages in it. If
    truth is what one is after, then one will not a priori rule out
    non-natural explanations just because some persons may misuse one's
    non-natural hypothesis when it is falsified. As a scientist, it is
    better to be open to all possibilities and be laughed at when you're
    wrong, then to be closed (a priori) to certain kinds of explanations
    that turn out to be true. The price of intellectual openness and
    truth-seeking is the possibility of ridicule and scorn. You either pay a
    small price now, or you pay a big price when the paradigm shifts. But
    history shows that truth-seekers generally must pay the price.

    - Bryan