Re: natural selection in salvation history (was Johnson// evolutionimplies atheism)

From: Bert Massie (bert@massie-labs.com)
Date: Sun Jul 23 2000 - 10:09:37 EDT

    RDehaan237@aol.com wrote:

> [...]
    > question of the sufficiency of evolutionary mechanisms observed at or below
    > the species level (‘microevolution’) to account for the larger-scale patterns
    > of morphological evolution (‘macroevolution’)” (p. 577) and “One of the
    >
    > longest running debates in evolutionary biology concerns the sufficiency
    >
    > of processes observed within populations and species for explaining
    > macroevolution” (p. 579).
    >
    > (snip)
    >
    > "The paleontologist Robert Carroll of the Department of Biology at McGill
    > University, for instance, argued recently in thejournal Trends in Ecology and
    > Evolution that “the most striking features of large-scale evolution are the
    > extremely rapid divergence of lineages near the time of their origin,
    > followed by long periods in which basic body plans and ways of life are
    > retained. What is missing are the many intermediate forms hypothesized by
    > Darwin, and the continual divergence of major lineages into the morphospace
    > between distinct adaptive types . . . . The extreme speed of anatomical
    > change and adaptive radiation during this brief time requires explanations
    > that go beyond those proposed for evolution of species within the current
    > biota” (“Towards a new evolutionary synthesis,” TREE, volume
    >
    > 15:27-32; p. 27).
    >
    > Arguments such as Carroll’s fill the current biological literature. They
    >
    > are even more widespread outside the English-speaking world."
    >
    > I simply maintain that Darwinian natural selection is not competent to
    > account for what is called macroevolution, what I prefer to call the
    > formation of morphologies at the higher taxonomic levels.
    >
    > <<3) "I am not a paleontologist or the son of a paleontologist", to
    > paraphrase
    > last Sunday's OT lesson. But it seems to me that the sentence you quote from
    > Young is not nearly so "telling" if your commentary is removed.>>
    >
    > Then be so kind as to accept my commentary, which was and is: "The body
    > plans of organisms are generally not adaptive. They need NS. The
    > "significant role of natural selection" in the formation of the body plans of
    > phyletic lineages in the Cambrian, is to enhance the adaptations of organisms
    > to their surroundings with their respective Bauplans, using contemporary
    > 'short-term-evolution' studies as the best evidence we have of the role of
    > NS."
    >
    > <<4) Natural selection in an important sense is simply negative: there
    > aren't
    > enough resources &c for all organisms to survive so a lot will die (Malthus'
    > influence
    > on both Darwin & Wallace), & the ones with variations which best enable them
    > to survive
    > in the environment of the moment will be most likely to survive & have
    > offspring.
    > Natural selection itself says nothing about the mechanisms which may bring

    ***************
    This is the entire point: What is the mysterious mechanism that accounts for
    rapid and profound
    genetic change? Natural selection allegedly controls which change survives but
    has no "creative" role.
    The "creative role" has to be played by the hypothesised but not identified
    mechanism.
    To believe in the creative power of macromutations at this point in time and
    after a great deal of scientific investigation by the best and brightest
    requires belief in the "science of the Gaps", or perhps, "Oh ye of great faith
    (that it exists)." Based on what we do know it is tenable to argue that physical
    processes acting along could not generate this tremendous information inflow.
    Perhaps it is time for a paradigm shift and think about the creative power of
    another sort

    Bert M