Re: natural selection in salvation history (was Johnson//evolutionimplies atheism)

From: dfsiemensjr@juno.com
Date: Sat Jul 22 2000 - 14:03:41 EDT

    On Sat, 22 Jul 2000 08:33:16 -0400 "Howard J. Van Till"
    <hvantill@novagate.com> writes:
    > Bert,

    > natural
    > >>
    > >> Let me suggest some modification of vocabulary here. I would say
    > that
    > >> natural selection does nothing whatsoever that is authentically
    > *creative.*
    > >> Rather, it acts as a positive feedback mechanism in the context
    > of a search
    > >> program. Briefly here is why I say this:
    > >
    > > ******
    > > Not so fast--Lets substitute for "creative" a different word.
    > Yes, there is
    > > undeniably a "potentiality space" of viable creatures. Not an
    > arugement. The
    > > issue is that of a mechanism to shuffle the genes of a given
    > animal to move
    > > towards the genes of another animal with the second animal having
    > some
    > > substantial new feature. Now what is "move towards" and how does
    > this work.
    > > Well, "natural selection" is posited as a selection mechanism and,
    > while I do
    > > not accept its efficacy in getting the animal through a long path,
    > let me set
    > > this aside. What I need is
    > >
    > > 1. A mechanism that can make substantial genetic changes in step
    > wise fashion.
    > >
    > > 2. The existence of a gene trajectory path from animal A to animal
    > B with each
    > > change being large and benficial enough to modify reproduction
    > rates for the
    > > animal with the genetic benefits.
    > >
    > > 3. A quickly acting mechanism to make this happen which is
    > triggered by
    > > something to be identified because the fossil evidence is for
    > stasis with
    > > punctuated and rapid changes.
    > >
    > > What I do not accept is the efficacy of small genetic changes
    > which change the
    > > general modifiers of a given body plan (a monkey with a longer
    > tail) as
    > implying
    > > the exisitence of the above.
    > >
    > > This is the issue.
    >
    > OK, at least we are getting away from the loose and theologically
    > provocative use of the word "creative."
    >
    > If I understand you correctly, you are suggesting that the
    > formational
    > capabilities of the Creation are inadequate to accomplish what the
    > macro-evolutionary paradigm presently envisions. Or are you saying
    > that if
    > the Creation was given a robust formational economy by its Creator,
    > it must
    > have important contributions that we have not yet discovered?
    >
    > My own expectation is that the Creation was gifted from the outset
    > with a
    > robust formational economy (adequate to make the remarkable process
    > of
    > macro-evolution possible), much of which remains to be discovered.
    >
    > Howard Van Till

> [...]

    I'm not a geneticist, so this is subject to correction. But I recall that
    the gene that structures the compound eye in the fruit fly is virtually
    identical to the one that structures the retina in both molluscs and
    vertebrates. I think the mammalian gene was substituted in a fruit fly
    knockout and functioned. I don't know what the gene triggers, or how it
    is triggered, to produce these rather different structures. But radical
    change is possible. However, probably no one yet knows the intermediate
    steps in the shift. Yet this sounds reasonably close to a
    macroevolutionary shift within "natural" parameters.

    I believe the visual pigments are similar from bacteria to mammals. Where
    they are localized to eyes, however structured, there is an advantage to
    color vision over simple monochromatic sensation. I believe that both the
    original sensory pigments in vertebrates are autosomal. Duplication of
    the gene producing blue-sensitive pigment to the X-chromosome and
    mutation gave better discrimination. A second duplication (and there may
    bve more) produced trichromatic vision. This is distinctly advantageous.
    However, the multiple pigments require some "rewiring" in the brain. I
    wonder if anyone knows how this is produced, and how the visual areas of
    New World monkeys with two pigments differ from the apes with three.

    I understand that homeoboxes contain genes which are triggered
    successively to produce a pattern of development. I think the fruit fly
    has only one, but that it is triggered at least twice, with obviously
    different results. Vertebrates have multiple homeoboxes, in keeping with
    their more complex structures. However, I have encountered no information
    about their triggering. But I will guess that triggering the same set in
    different developmental environments may be paralleled by multiple
    triggerings of several sets to produce effects so different as to be
    totally unexpected. We are just beginning to unravel the complexities.

    I recall the professor in a zoology class that I took commenting on the
    "bloomin', buzzin' confusion" of everything going on simultaneously to
    transform a zygote into an embryo and fetus. "How can we explain it?" he
    asked. "God." In other words, it was entirely beyond science to explain
    at the time. "Apoptosis," for example, had not occurred to anyone as a
    partial explanation for some aspects of development. We are just
    beginning to get a handle on some of the "controls." If the speed of
    discovery that I have observed over some 50 years continues for the next
    50 or so, I expect that we will understand that these duplications and
    those mutations produced the major developmental changes from one type of
    creature to another, with specifically beneficial states at each step.

    Will we unravel the origin of life? I have no way of knowing. But I have
    found that we are learning more and more about catalysis, and may stumble
    across the process that could have occurred way back when. So I am not
    demanding a detailed blueprint before recognizing the strong probability
    of divinely installed natural patterns from the earliest beginning to the
    present.

    Dave