Re: natural selection in salvation history (was Johnson//evolutionimplies atheism)

From: Bert Massie (bert@massie-labs.com)
Date: Sat Jul 22 2000 - 04:35:58 EDT

    "Howard J. Van Till" wrote:

    > Bob Dehaan wrote:
    >
    > > I would be happy to take
    > > macroevolution seriously if there were empirical evidence that natural
    > > selection played a significant *creative* role in it.
    >
    > Let me suggest some modification of vocabulary here. I would say that
    > natural selection does nothing whatsoever that is authentically *creative.*
    > Rather, it acts as a positive feedback mechanism in the context of a search
    > program. Briefly here is why I say this:

    ******
    Not so fast--Lets substitute for "creative" a different word. Yes, there is
    undeniably a "potentiality space" of viable creatures. Not an arugement. The
    issue is that of a mechanism to shuffle the genes of a given animal to move
    towards the genes of another animal with the second animal having some
    substantial new feature. Now what is "move towards" and how does this work.
    Well, "natural selection" is posited as a selection mechanism and, while I do
    not accept its efficacy in getting the animal through a long path, let me set
    this aside. What I need is

    1. A mechanism that can make substantial genetic changes in step wise fashion.

    2. The existence of a gene trajectory path from animal A to animal B with each
    change being large and benficial enough to modify reproduction rates for the
    animal with the genetic benefits.

    3. A quickly acting mechanism to make this happen which is triggered by
    something to be identified because the fossil evidence is for stasis with
    punctuated and rapid changes.

    What I do not accept is the efficacy of small genetic changes which change the
    general modifiers of a given body plan (a monkey with a longer tail) as implying
    the exisitence of the above.

    This is the issue.

    Bert M.