Re: natural selection in salvation history

From: Keith B Miller (kbmill@ksu.edu)
Date: Tue Jul 18 2000 - 21:24:44 EDT

    Here are a couple paragraphs from my article several years ago in
    Perspectives entitled "Theological implications of an evolving creation."
    They seem relevant to the current thread.

    "God's activity is typically progressive in time, and potentially
    understandable in terms of cause-and-effect sequences of physical or
    historical events. God's revelation of His character and His plan of
    redemption was a gradual one -- first to Abram, then through Moses and the
    prophets to the nation of Israel, then through His own incarnation and the
    indwelling of His Holy Spirit to the world. Our own conforming to Christ's
    image is a process, even a painful one, not an instantaneous state achieved
    upon our conversion. He even commissioned us, His sin-warped creatures, to
    be the agents of His redemptive work. Efficiency is clearly not a priority
    in God's redemptive activity; why should we require it of His creative
    activity?"

    "Christians with a high view of scripture should not fear the involvement
    of secondary causes in God's creative acts. In fact, a progressive
    creative history involving secondary causes seems to me most consistent
    with God's providence and immanence in creation, as well as His
    transcendence over it. God is the source of all created reality but has
    given the physical universe a role in its own creation. God thus affirms
    His creation not only in its existence but in its dynamic activity. In a
    similar fashion God calls us to "continue to work out your salvation with
    fear and trembling, for it is God who works in you to will and to act
    according to his good purpose." (Philip. 2:12-13) The Creator gives his
    creation the freedom to participate in the accomplishment of His will,
    while He remains providentially in control and the sole source of power for
    this activity."

    Keith

    Keith B. Miller
    Department of Geology