Re: natural selection in salvation history (was Johnson// evolutionimplies atheism)

From: RDehaan237@aol.com
Date: Fri Jul 21 2000 - 05:03:28 EDT

    In a message dated 7/17/2000 George Murphy wrote:

    << I will say that with we know today (at least if we've awakened from our
    dogmatic slumbers) about both scripture and natural science makes it very
    doubtful that one can construct a coherent Christian theology which takes the
    real world seriously if it doesn't include some form of macroevolution in
    which natural selection plays a significant role. >>

    I'm coming into this thread rather late. I would be happy to take
    macroevolution seriously if there were empirical evidence that natural
    selection played a significant *creative* role in it. Precambrian metazoa
    have been found, but that they arose by natural selection (NS) has not been
    demonstrated, only assumed. While descent with modification from a common
    ancestor might be considered such evidence, it lacks a demonstration that
    natural selection constitutes the mechanism by which it came about. In
    short, I am not persuaded by the data to accept macroevolution or common
    ancestry.

    The only empirically demonstrated role played by NS that I know of is that of
    enhancing adaptation and survival, as suggested by studies of "short-term
    evolution," to use Gould's term, also called "evolution-made-visible." These
    include studies of camouflage coloration in guppies; the shape of Darwin's
    beaks; Kettlewell's industrial melanism studies; change of leg size in
    Bahamian lizards, and other such studies, in which the organism adapts to
    changing immediate environments. Evolutionists, such as Jonathan Weiner,
    extrapolate these studies into macroevolution, that is, that macroevolution
    is microevolution writ large. But it is an unwarranted conclusion that
    demonstrated survival and adaptation roles that NS plays in the present time
    can be extrapolated as a creative role in geologic time, i.e., in forming
    major morphological features such as the phyletic body plans of metazoa.
    Again, I am not persuaded by contemporary studies of NS that it played a
    creative role in the formation of major innovative morphological structures.

    J. Z. Young in his classic *The Life of Vertebrates* made a telling comment.
     "An organism must adapt to its surroundings as best it can with its given
    Bauplan." (p. 4). The body plans of organisms are generally not adaptive.
    They need NS. The "significant role of natural selection" in the formation
    of the body plans of phyletic lineages in the Cambrian, is to enhance the
    adaptations of organisms to their surroundings with their respective
    Bauplans, using contemporary "short-term-evolution" studies as the best
    evidence we have of the role of NS.

    To go beyond that, IMHO is to ascribe creative roles to NS that is not
    supported by empirical evidence.

    Peace,

    Bob