Re: natural selection in salvation history (wasJohnson//evolutionimplies atheism)

From: George Murphy (gmurphy@raex.com)
Date: Tue Jul 18 2000 - 14:01:13 EDT

    Bryan R. Cross wrote:

    > George Murphy wrote:
    >
    > > You confirm what I started with here, that there is no basis in revelation for
    > > belief in the unmediated creation of life. You can call that an "argument from silence"
    > > if you like.
    >
    > That is what it is. And there is no basis in special revelation for belief in the wholly-mediated creation of
    > life either. (You have not provided any biblical evidence to that effect.) And that is all I have been trying to
    > show. Special revelation does not *support* macroevolution any more than it *supports* progressive creation. For
    > that reason, the question cannot be answered by appealing to Scripture. Since that is all I have been trying to
    > show, and since I don't expect you will be providing any further evidence for wholly-mediated macroevolution
    > from special revelation, I'm going to step out of this discussion.
    >
    > > & I would not claim that Genesis 1 "proves" chemical evolution, let alone
    > > evolution in general. But the fact that many of the fathers understood it as meaning
    > > that God created the materials of the world with the capability of bringing forth living
    > > things when God wanted them brought forth, & that before any modern scientific theories,
    > > seems to me significant. But perhaps the theological opinions of the fathers carry no
    > > weight with you.
    >
    > Let's put things in perspective. Your belief in divine mutability would be of **much** more concern to the
    > fathers than taking issue with a position held by a minority of the fathers about the mechanism of life's
    > formation. Those rejecting a fundamental theological belief held by virtually all the fathers are in no position
    > to criticize those questioning a very minor theological position held by less than a handful of the fathers.
    >
    > I think this particular discussion has reached the point of diminishing returns, so I'm signing off. I tip my
    > hat to George for his willingness to explain and defend his position.

            I agree that the discussion of natural selection &c is exhausted for now. In
    closing (though anyone who wishes may respond), let me comment on the last point.
    Briefly:
            1) The statement that mediated creation of life is a _minority_ view among the
    fathers is at best questionable. Messenger's detailed study in _Evolution and Theology_
    (Macmillan, 1932 - unfortunately quite rare now) shows just the opposite. Ephrem,
    Basil, Gregory of Nyssa, Chrysostom, Ambrose, & Augustine are a pretty weighty
    "minority", if they are a minority at all.
            2) The fathers had to struggle with the presuppositions of Greek philosophy,
    including the assumptions of the superiority of being to becoming & divine immutability,
    & were not entirely successful. The fact that even in that context they could speak
    about genuine incarnation & talk about "the passion of my God" (Ignatius) or that "one
    of the Trinity was crucified for us" (II Constantinople) is significant.
                                                            Shalom,
                                                            George
    George L. Murphy
    gmurphy@raex.com