Re: natural selection in salvation history (was Johnson//evolutionimplies atheism)

From: George Murphy (gmurphy@raex.com)
Date: Tue Jul 18 2000 - 08:16:20 EDT

    Bryan R. Cross wrote:

    > George Murphy wrote:
    >
    > > I should back off a bit & provide briefly some context for my remarks. They are
    > > given withour supporting argumentation. I give a few references to my work for further
    > > details.
    > > Who God is can be known only through God's self-revelation which is centered on
    > > the cross of Christ. The understanding of divine action most consistent with the
    > > character of God so revealed is kenotic: God limits his action in the world to what can
    > > be accomplished through natural processes, so that the world can be understood in terms
    > > of those processes without reference to God. This has several consequences, among them:
    > > 1) Creation possesses "functional integrity" (Van Till).
    > > 2) Scientific theories (including natural selection) are not to be derived from
    > > theology. In particular, methodological naturalism is the appropriate way
    > > to do science.
    > > #1 is an expression of grace at the very beginning, for it means, among other things,
    > > that we can understand the world, know consequences of our actions, &c. #2 is simply
    > > the reverse side of the fact that we don't learn about God from science apart from
    > > revelation.
    >
    > You are welcome to your theology, but some of this is very Lutheran, and as such it shouldn't be passed
    > off as Christianity per se. A position is not non-Christian just because it is not Lutheran.

            I make no apologies for it being Lutheran, but it hardly is that in a narrow
    sense. & I should have thought it clear that I was stating my own theological position.
    I have no intention of excommunicating all who don't agree with it.

    > I should add
    > that you are using a very different notion of grace as well. Grace is what is given in redemption, not in
    > creation. To claim that grace is what is given in creation is to adopt a tenet of Pelagianism, and that
    > shouldn't be passed off as traditional Christianity.

            It isn't "grace" if that is restricted entirely to what is supernatural, with a
    grace-nature contrast. But creation is, of course, a free gift: God provides the
    necessities of life "out of his pure, fatherly, and divine goodness and mercy, without
    any merit or worthiness on my part" (Yes, Luther) - & does it through natural processes.
     But to say this of course doesn't mean that we're saved simply by what is given in
    creation.

    > > OTOH, science and theology can be mutually illuminating when scientific
    > > understanding of the world are placed in the context of revelation. E.g., a critical
    > > reading of scripture, the witness to revelation, itself does not speak directly about
    > > biological evolution. But the fact that the object of God's reconciling action in the
    > > cross is "all things" (Col.1:20), together with the principle "what has not been assumed
    > > has not been healed", is best understood if there is an organic relationship between
    > > humanity & other living things, a relationship which was assumed in the Incarnation.
    >
    > But all these lines are so arbitrary. Given molecule-to-man macroevolution, then if it is sufficient for
    > Christ to reconcile all things to Himself by becoming a human, then He could have reconciled all things
    > things to Himself by becoming any material thing. (Why limit it to "organic" connection?? Why not
    > material connection? He has no organic connection to the molecules on Neptune. Are they lost forever?) If
    > not, then why does full reconciliation only work if He becomes man? The arbitrariness of "organic" is what
    > is so blatant. Why not choose any other relationship? For some reason, to heal the plant kingdom it is not
    > enough that Christ assumes the same matter that was previously shared by the entire biosphere, He must
    > have an organic relation to them. Why stop there? Why not a kingdom relation, or phylum relation, or
    > class, or order, etc.? If He had to become a human to reconcile humans, then why must He not become a bat
    > to save bats, and a cow to save cows? You pick the lines where it suits you. That's fine, but just up and
    > say that your prior belief in macroevolution drives the whole thing; don't claim to derive it from special
    > revelation.

            1) I said this would be brief, & thus appear arbitrary. That's why I gave some
    other references. Another that I forgot, & might be easier to locate than some of the
    others, is "The Theology of the Cross and God's Work in the World" (Zygon 33, 221,1998).
            2) I said that this "is best understood", making no claim (like some) to a
    perfect & problem-free view. What I do claim is that this view deals with the 2 basic
    criteria I set out better than any version of special creation. None of the people who
    has challenged the arguments that I set out in my 1986 articles has even tried to
    present a positive alternative. You're the latest.

    > > While natural selection is inconsistent with traditional pictures of God, it is
    > > not surprising if God is known as the one who creates life out of death and who
    > > participates in dying himself.
    >
    > I hope we're clear that "not surprising" here does not mean "supports"; it just means "compatible", (for
    > reasons I explained in my previous post) unless you want to say something stronger.
    >
    > > This argument is strengthened when one realizes that the
    > > major theoretical competitor of natural selection has always been some variety of
    > > "transmission of acquired characters" which means that in a sense species "earn" their
    > > survival and further development, a kind of "biological works righteousness." (& in
    > > fact the way "natural selection" has often been understood, including some comments in
    > > this exchange, has really been more like Lamarckianism.)
    >
    > Call it what you will. The fact is that there cannot be transmission of unacquired [genetic]
    > characteristics. Whatever is transmitted must be already possessed at least at the genetic level.

            Of course, but what has always been meant by this is "transmission of acquired
    characteristics" of the phenotype.

    > > Bryan R. Cross wrote:

    > > > Whether it is individuals or populations, natural selection is not grace-based. Who survives? The
    > > > strong. Of course the environment selects, but it doesn't select willy nilly; it selects the strong.
    > > > Divine grace, however, historically selected the weak, the foolish, the undeserving, etc. This point
    > > > is so obvious that it needs no defending.
    > >
    > > As I pointed out above, the functional integrity of creation is itself an
    > > expression of grace. You again fall into the error of identifying natural selection
    > > with a crude triumph of "the strong". It isn't. Mammals didn't survive the Chixlub
    > > impact instead of the dinosuars because they were "stronger" - or for that matter
    > > "smarter", more moral &c than dinosaurs. They were just luckier. In general, natural
    > > selection doesn't select those who "deserve" to survive.
    >
    > There's science for you, appealing to luck. Science cannot appeal to direct intervention by God; but
    > appeals to Lady Luck are just fine. But with respect to your claim about natural selection, I believe you
    > are sorely mistaken. I agree that since non-humans are not moral agents, there is no sense in which they
    > "deserve" to be selected. And there is no doubt that random genetic drift occurs, pleiotropy, heterozygous
    > dominance, meiotic drive and other factors work against the maximization of optimality. But in general,
    > the fitter survive, and the gene frequency of fitter traits increases over time. If you deny this, you are
    > denying a fundamental tenet of macroevolution by natural selection. It is not due to luck that mammals
    > survived the dinosaurs. That is utter nonsense. That is like claiming it was a miracle, or that there is
    > simply no scientific explanation for it. Was it just by luck that thick-coated animals out-survived
    > thin-coated animals in the artic? Was it just by luck that camouflaged animals out-survived their
    > uncamouflaged relatives? If you were to be consistent with your methodological naturalism, you would give
    > up this appeal to luck, and begin looking for features about mammals that made them more suited to survive
    > those conditions than were the dinosaurs. For a discussion of fitness and natural selection, see, for
    > example, Elliott Sober's The Nature of Selection: Evolutionary Theory in Philosophical Focus (University
    > of Chicago Press, reprint ed. 1993).

            When we say that a soldier who survived a battle was "luckier" than his buddy
    next to him who was killed, it doesn't have to be an appeal to "luck" as an ultimate
    cause. You can fill in the common sense meaning. & I suggest that you read Gould's
    _Wonderful Life_.

    > > > With that last statement you show that there is no essential relation between mutation/natural
    > > > selection and God's modus operandi viz-a-viz salvation history. With evolution the weak die and the
    > > > strong survive; in redemptive history, the weak suffer and then the strong are brought down and the
    > > > weak eventually triumph with divine aid. I never claimed that natural selection is not coherent with
    > > > the character of the biblical God (nor did I claim that it is coherent). My point was that God's
    > > > character as described in the Bible does not *support* His forming life by natural selection. That
    > > > is because the character of God as described in the Bible is just as consistent with many other ways
    > > > of creating, including de novo creation. (That is plain just from the fact that *something* had to
    > > > be created de novo; therefore His character cannot be incompatible with de novo creation per se.)
    > > > Therefore, the claim that the Bible presents a picture of God's character that *supports* evolution
    > > > by natural selection is ludicrous. "Compatible with" means "supportive of" only if no other creation
    > > > options are "compatible with" the character of God as presented in Scripture. Since many other
    > > > creation-methods are compatible with the character of God as presented in Scripture, therefore the
    > > > character of God as presented in Scripture does not *support* evolution by natural selection.
    > >
    > > I note that you ignore the main thrust of the argument.
    >
    > I briefly discussed its content previously, but I'll address it directly. I'm not sure who your phantom
    > opponent is here, this worshiper of the "conventional beneficent God of philosophical theism"; I'm not
    > even sure what you mean by this phrase, since you don't spell it out. Therefore, I cannot say anything
    > about whether such a view of God creates theodicy dilemmas or not.

            For a start, the worshipers of the conventional beneficent God of philosophical
    theism would include the young Darwin & all who were dismayed by evolution via natural
    selection & lost their faith in that God.

    > > You're using "support" as if it meant logical implication. Of course it
    > > doesn't.
    >
    > I'm not using "support" as if it meant logical implication. I'm using it in the abductive sense. If a
    > piece of evidence does not increase the likelihood of a hypothesis over competing hypotheses, then it does
    > not support that hypothesis.
    >
    > > The fact that planetary motion obeys Kepler's laws to a good approximation is
    > > supportive of Newton's, Einstein's, & a number of other gravitational theories. I have
    > > never said that a denial of natural selection, or for that matter of biological
    > > evolution, is heretical. I will say that with we know today (at least if we've awakened
    > > from our dogmatic slumbers) about both scripture and natural science makes it very
    > > doubtful that one can construct a coherent Christian theology which takes the real world
    > > seriously if it doesn't include some form of macroevolution in which natural selection
    > > plays a significant role.
    >
    > That just begs the question. I think that with what we *know* today (not just what we have assumed) about
    > Scripture and natural science, it is quite possible to have a coherent Christian theology that takes the
    > real world seriously and does not include some form of macroevolution. You have not shown that any
    > contemporary Christian theology that does not include some form of macroevolution is "incoherent", unless
    > "incoherent" just means that it does not include some form of macroevolution.

            Well, yes, macroevolution has taken place & a theology which is incapable of
    assimilating that is not dealing with the real world. Of course I don't intend this
    apodictic statement as "proof".

    > > > That claim is not necessarily true, for it would be true only if the person in question arrived at
    > > > his belief in divine immutability by way of a priori theology. Since you did not ask me how I
    > > > arrived at my belief in divine immutability, you are not in a position to make this judgment.
    > >
    > > You are free to describe how you arrived at that belief if you wish. In any
    > > case it's inconsistent with the belief that God experienced suffering & death on the
    > > cross, & therefore with the revealed character of God. Thus it is something brought to,
    > > rather than gotten from, revelation. (Yes, I know the 2 verses, & no, they don't trump
    > > the cross.)
    >
    > I'm not going to debate exegesis with you. But I will say that I find the passages describing God as
    > unchanging much more explicit about the nature of God with respect to immutability than I find any passage
    > describing the actions of the Logos. If God creating is not incompatible with divine immutability, then
    > neither is any other act of any person of the God-head. Explaining this would take me into a discussion of
    > God's relation to time, a discussion I don't want to get into in this context.

            The history of Jesus can be part of God's history only if God has a history. It
    is only presuppositions about the unchangeableness of the divine nature which make it
    impossible to acknowledge this & make the Incarnation & cross opera ad extra.

    > > > But you started your sentence with "Many of the miracles of salvation history, & especially those of
    > > > the NT", implying that at least some of these were OT miracles. If any OT miracles point to Jesus,
    > > > then why not all OT miracles? You asked the question, "What would be the corresponding sign value
    > > > of, e.g., miraculous intervention to create life . . . ?" By asking this question you seem to admit
    > > > that miracles in redemptive history have sign value, while miracles outside of redemptive history
    > > > would not. But just above you rejected the notion of a separate realm of "salvation history", so it
    > > > seems that you have no principle reason to deny sign value to any miracle. The sign value of the
    > > > miraculous intervention to create life (should it have occurred that) would be the same as that of
    > > > any comparable OT miracle, or NT miracle for that matter.
    > >
    > > You continue to miss the point. The NT takes for granted that the God of Israel
    > > gives food to all people (e.g., Ps.145:15-16): It is a matter of faith, not of
    > > observation. The gospel writers see the feeding of the 5000 as a sign which "point[s]
    > > to Jesus as the presence of the God who works all the time through natural processes in
    > > nature." What would the comparable sign value of a miraculous creation of life in the
    > > beinning be? That the God who creates life in the beginning is the God who creates?
    > > Miracles aren't needed to establish tautologies.
    >
    > You are right; I am not sure I understand your point. First, you admit that not all miracles occur in
    > salvation history. Then you question the distinction between salvation history and another realm of
    > history. Then you say that nature miracles in the NT point to the creator who operates all the time in the
    > world by natural processes. (Later you say that the NT miracles point not to Christ but to Jesus.) Then
    > you claim that a miraculous creation event would not point out the creator in this way. I have no idea
    > what you mean by "The NT takes for granted . . . not of observation." Then you repeat your claim about NT
    > miracles. Then you ask what the sign value of a miraculous creation of life in the beginning would be.
    > Apparently, your point is, I take it, that a miraculous creation in the beginning would have no sign
    > value. But first, as I said before, not all direct divine actions need have sign value. Surely you believe
    > that the creation event was a direct divine act, but you don't require of it that it had sign value.
    > Therefore, there is no reason to require of any direct divine event after the first moment of creation
    > that it have a sign value. Second, if it did have sign value, it needn't be a tautology. It could just as
    > easily be, "to point out the presence of the God who operates all the time in the world by natural
    > processes." The Genesis passage clearly express the intimacy with which God fashioned humans, for example.

            What is difficult about saying that providence is a matter of faith, not
    observation? (Do you see God putting bread on your table?) & what is the point of
    thinking that I'm making some distinction between Christ & Jesus? I thought they were
    the same.

    > > > This is an argument from silence, for one can just as easily say that there is no reason at all on
    > > > the basis of special revelation to think that the origin of life took place in a way which cannot be
    > > > understood in terms of supernatural processes. With respect to Genesis 1, the Bible does not say
    > > > "this event occurred within the bounds of natural laws" or "this event exceeded the limits of
    > > > natural laws". As long as the Biblical evidence can be used to support equally either of two
    > > > contrary opinions, it supports neither. Whether one interprets the events of Genesis 1 as miracles
    > > > or not will depend upon what one believes about what can and cannot occur by natural processes.
    > > > Since in this regard the interpretation depends upon what scientific evidence the exegete brings to
    > > > the text, the text itself does not answer the question. We should not attempt to substantiate a
    > > > claim with an appeal to special revelation when special revelation provides no support for that
    > > > claim, or is equally compatible with the claim and its contrary.
    > >
    > > It doesn't take a very strong version of methodological naturalism to say that
    > > one ought to look for natural explanations for phenomena for which there is no
    > > indication from revelation that they were beyond the capabilities of nature.
    >
    > Agreed. The source is previous scientific knowledge or methodological naturalism, not Scripture; that was
    > my point.
    >
    > > Of course Genesis 1 doesn't say "this event occurred within the bounds of
    > > natural laws." It says "let the earth bring forth" & "let the waters bring forth", & it
    > > doesn't require modern science to see the implications. Ephrem of Edessa, Gregory of
    > > Nyssa, Augustine, & others of the fathers saw them.
    >
    > Mechanism, mechanism, mechanism. That is the issue. Most Christians do not deny that humans were formed by
    > the dust of the earth; the debate involves the mechanism: by what means did fashion humans from dust? (By
    > macroevolution or directly? With direct divine action or without it? etc. and every position in between.)
    > Only those who endorse de novo creation are at odds (in my view) with these passages. All the other
    > positions (viz-a-viz *mechanism*) are quite consistent with these passages, for the passages say
    > absolutely nothing about whether the mechanism was within the bounds of natural laws. To read into that
    > passage "completely by natural causes and natural processes" is to read into that passage something that
    > is not there, even if it is true.
            You confirm what I started with here, that there is no basis in revelation for
    belief in the unmediated creation of life. You can call that an "argument from silence"
    if you like. & I would not claim that Genesis 1 "proves" chemical evolution, let alone
    evolution in general. But the fact that many of the fathers understood it as meaning
    that God created the materials of the world with the capability of bringing forth living
    things when God wanted them brought forth, & that before any modern scientific theories,
    seems to me significant. But perhaps the theological opinions of the fathers carry no
    weight with you.
                                                    Shalom,
                                                    George

    George L. Murphy