RE: End of Cheap Oil

From: Vandergraaf, Chuck (vandergraaft@aecl.ca)
Date: Tue Jul 18 2000 - 04:17:30 EDT

    The link that Dan supplied is, unfortunately, not the type of information I
    would be looking for. Rather than supplying a list of links to
    environmental groups, what I would want to know, for alternatives, are
    answer to, at least, the following questions: 1),what is the TOTAL cost to
    the environment of your proposed alternative and 2), what fraction of the
    TOTAL required demand can be met by your proposed alternative.

    Let me use solar power as an example. What are the costs, financial and
    environmental, of producing the photovoltaic panels (including the energy
    required in production of the silicon cells, handling and disposing of the
    wastes generated in the production of the panels), how much real estate is
    required per MW generated, what is the upkeep (how do you keep bird poop,
    dust and debris from the surfaces of the solar panels and what are the risks
    in doing so, e.g., workers falling off the panels and being injured or
    killed), what is the expected life of the panels, how does one recycle them
    or dispose of them (and what is the environmental impact), etc. Once I have
    these data, I'd want to know how much of the demand for electricity would be
    supplied by these panels, whether they could be used in urban areas or only
    in rural settings, and under what weather and climatic conditions they can
    be used. For example, in Yellowknife, NWT, or Fairbanks, AK, solar panels
    are not much help in the winter! Even along the west coast of BC, there are
    often long periods of rain.

    The same calculations need to be done for wind power, biomass, etc. Only
    then can we determine if these alternatives are economically and
    environmentally viable. Yes, I know that environmentalists will point at
    government incentives to oil companies and the displacement of aboriginals
    due to hydro-related flooding, but these costs can be quantified. I also am
    aware that we can do a lot by using passive solar heating, increase
    insulation, and plant trees to decrease a dependence on air conditioning.
    However, even the cost of increased insulation needs to be factored into the
    equation and the costs and risks of the disposal or recycling of insulation
    material must be taken into consideration.

    I did not find anything at all like that on the Joyce Johnson Rouse's home
    page and I don't have the time to chase after all the links.

    BTW, note the following statement taken from the home page that Dan refered
    to: "But with all the traveling, concerts, speaking and activist work I'm
    busy with, I won't have time to keep up with monthly Earth Mama Club
    issues." This is a recurrent problem I have with environmentalists: I
    simply don't see how "all the traveling" contributes to the "sustainable
    technology" that environmentalists espouse. Not that I'm opposed to
    traveling, but it seems to me that, because we are depleting our fossil fuel
    resources, travel and sustainable technology are incompatible, unless that
    travel is done by human or animal power. I hope I'm wrong and invite
    anybody to show me the fallacy of my statements. Maybe, if
    environmentalists can show convincingly that their "spreading the word"
    saves more energy than they use in traveling around, they may have a point.

    Chuck Vandergraaf
    Pinawa, MB