Re: End of Cheap Oil

From: glenn morton (mortongr@flash.net)
Date: Mon Jul 17 2000 - 17:40:00 EDT

    Wendee wrote:

    >Glenn wrote:
    >>When most people lived like that, it meant high death rates from hepatitis
    >>and other diseases because the outhouse waste drained into the
    >neighbor's

    >Today, as opposed to 100 yrs ago, we have better sewage technology and
    >this would prevent the spread of diseases. We also have vaccines and
    >disease treatment. So even if we were to return to simpler ways, it
    >does not mean we have to return to high mortality rates. That is an
    >incorrect assumption, in my opinion.

    You seem unaware that it takes lots of energy to pump the sewage to a
    treatment facility, lots of energy to detoxify and remove the pollutants
    and lots of energy to create the vaccines. Without 65-75% of our energy
    supply (which today is in oil and natural gas), we will have trouble taking
    care of sewage. There will be so many other things we want to move than crap.

    >My father chose his lifestyle to get away from the rat race of L.A. He
    >built his own log cabin, insulated with moss, cooked and heated with
    >wood stoves, grew his own food (chickens, and veggies) and we
    >collected rainwater in buckets for washing. We had drinking water in
    >igloos. It was truly a pioneer lifestyle, and I absolutely cherish it
    >and the impact it made on my life and my values. This was in the
    >1970s. And FWIW, I, my father, and my in-laws live at the end of dirt
    >roads even today. :)

    I grew up in a rural area and wish I could return to it also. But one
    can't provide for his family there anymore--at least not in a way that I
    want to provide for mine. But I don't begrudge your father for doing what
    he did. Everyone has to make their own choices.

    >>environmentalists would realize that the choices are not easy ones and
    >>going back to a world like that of the 19th century means most of us will
    >>have to die.
    >
    >I do recognize the choices are complex, but nor do I think the return
    >to simple ways means most everyone has to die. There are many answers,
    >often its a matter of what we as individuals stubbornly refuse to give
    >up in order to help our neighbors (and ourselves) in the long run.

    Then name these answers. I would be very interested. I do wish that when
    making claims like this you would give the evidence and not make me have
    to ask.
    glenn

    Foundation, Fall and Flood
    Adam, Apes and Anthropology