Re: End of Cheap oil

From: Cmekve@aol.com
Date: Mon Jul 17 2000 - 19:51:37 EDT

    In a message dated 7/17/00 6:05:13 AM Mountain Standard Time,
    James_Taggart@multilink.com writes:

    << Someone told me once that we've had a 10-year supply of oil available for
    the
     last 100 years.

     Your comment about oil-shale requiring a barrel of oil per barrel of oil
     retrieved is relevant, but
     as the price of oil rises, previously uneconomical oil retrieval becomes
     feasible. I can't claim to
     be an expert (certainly not to you!), but I'd guess the econonmics of it will
     drag out the decline
     longer than you predict.

    For a very accessible (to both geologists and non-geologists) overview of
    some of the issues Glen has raised, see McCabe, P.J., 1998, Energy
    resources--Cornucopia or Empty Barrel?: American Association of Petroleum
    Geologists Bulletin, v. 82, p. 2110-2134.

    Karl
    Karl V. Evans
    cmekve@aol.com