RE: End of Cheap oil

From: Joel Z Bandstra (bandstra@ese.ogi.edu)
Date: Mon Jul 17 2000 - 18:42:32 EDT

    Wendee,

    You have championed the "simple" lifestyle in a number of your recent
    postings.

    e.g. "It was truly a pioneer lifestyle, and I absolutely cherish it and the
    impact it made on my life and my values."

    This sentiment is often expressed by what I think of as the
    environmentalist types. But I don't understand the thinking behind it (in
    the sense of claiming the simple life to be the moral one) very well other
    than to say that it is basically an anti-technology position. The premise
    appears to be one in which we are living morally when we have as little
    impact on nature as possible. I don't think this is in keeping with a
    Christian view of stewardship. Of creation, we are to be caretakers, yes,
    but we are also to use and enjoy God's creation. Finding appropriate uses
    of God's creation is part of responsible technology and burning fossil
    fuels is, to a certain degree (we may have gone too far), an appropriate
    use.

    For example, we could all try to live in hand built log cabins with waste
    treatment and such performed by low tech means (we could all construct our
    own little settling ponds and wetland systems by hand). We could not
    support the same kind of population levels under this scheme. Things would
    be much more difficult. People would be separated from each other.
     Mortality rates would be much higher. This does not appear as responsible
    technology to me. It may be enjoyable and appropriate for some (such as
    yourself) but it is not the answer to developing a Christian view of how to
    do technology.

    The question isn't "How do we, as Christians, avoid the forming and use of
    technology and encourage others to do the same?" It is "How do we, as
    Christians, participate in the forming and use of technology in a manner
    consistent with our commitment to have a right relationship with God, right
    relationships with others, and to be good caretakers of God's creation?"

    Joel