Re: End of Cheap oil

From: David_Bowman@georgetowncollege.edu
Date: Sat Jul 15 2000 - 15:01:40 EDT

    Regarding the part of Joel W. Cannon's post where he wrote:

    > I left because I found physics more interesting.

    Ah, a person after my own heart.

    >First, fusion reactors (as opposed to reactions) do produce
    >significant radioactive contamination through activation. The very
    >high energy neutrons (14 Mev) present a challenge to the person trying
    >to convert the energy of a neutral particle into electricity, and to
    >find shielding that will stop the neutrons and not fall apart.

    Joel, maybe you can help me out here. Even though my field is physics,
    (statistical mechanics) I'm much the layman regarding the intricacies of
    controlled thermonuclear reactions. But I was sort of under the
    impression that the neutron flux came from the use of tritium in the
    fuel. (The reactants had more neutrons than protons, and the products,
    primarily He-4, had mostly equal numbers of both.) I assume that the
    reason for using tritium-enriched fuel is because such fuel would either
    achieve ignition under less extreme conditions or be less subject to
    some of the various instabilities the habitually plague tokamak plasmas
    than a reaction powered by a pure deuterium fuel would have to deal with.

    It seems that the neutron activation problem could be eliminated or
    greatly reduced by use of a pure deuterium fuel. But then maybe the
    engineering problems related to instabilities, quenching and the like
    might never be able to be overcome? If the use of tritium-enriched
    fuel proves to be absolutely necessary for the feasible harnessing of
    thermonuclear fusion, then we would seem to have a *further* radioactive
    waste problem than that of neutron activation of the shielding,
    containment vessel, and other parts of the reactor. Since tritium is a
    man-made element which is manufactured in *fission reactors* we would
    also have to deal with the waste produced by them as the tritium fuel is
    manufactured. Admittedly a pure deuterium fuel would not have such a
    problem since it could be separated from ordinary water by relatively
    benign isotopic separation techniques.

    David Bowman
    David_Bowman@georgetowncollege.edu