Re: critique this...

From: Doug Hayworth (hayworth@uic.edu)
Date: Fri Jul 14 2000 - 13:29:12 EDT

    At 11:55 AM 7/14/00 -0500, you wrote:
    >Can anyone offer feedback on the following statement:
    >
    > > evolutionary theory has little proven
    > >relevance to the actual day-to-conduct conduct of modern science.

    Wendee (and others):

    May I recommend for your reading the document called "Evolution, Science,
    and Society" which is available at the American Society of Naturalists
    website (www.amnat.org). The document was prepared, with input from the
    public, as a cooperative effort by several biological societies concerned
    with evolutionary biology. As much as possible, it represents a consensus
    of evolutionary biologists' views on evolution, including how it is
    studied, how it contributes to society, and how it contributes to basic
    science. I believe the document (which may be downloaded or ordered as a
    booklet - perhaps good for class reading) address the range of issues
    relating to your question.

    Sincerely,
    Doug Hayworth