Re: anyone read this book?

From: Inge Frette (inge.frette@geologica.no)
Date: Mon Jul 10 2000 - 18:12:49 EDT

    Hello Wendy,
    The author - Richard Wright - supports the
    evolutionary view. He writes that the evidence is very strong for
    evolution. There are some questions that he thinks we can't find
    answers to. Unfortunately I don't remember which questions, and
    a friend has borrowed the book so I can't check this.
    But a guess is that one of the questions he is uncertain about
    is whether we can know if there has been a historical Adam and Eve.
    I think the book is good since it has a wider perspective than
    only the evolution issue. The book deals with creation and evolution
    but also about what it means to be a steward of the creation.

    When it comes to other books by biologists.
    There is a well know english biologist called R. Berry.
    He has written a book called "God and the biologist" (1996).
    He is a distinguished scientist.

    I guess there are many on this list that can give detailed description
    of Behe's views. I met him at a philosophy conference in Scotland
    earlier this summer, and there he told me that from the start he
    accepted all he had learned about evolution. There was
    no religious reasons for him to be sceptical about evolution. Nothing
    in his religion demanded that. And I think that he still accepts
    parts of it. He told me that it was his research
    in the lab that made him start doubting certain parts of the evolutionary
    theory.

    The black box is the cell, and the cell was a black box for Darwin.

    Inge

    At 15:45 10.07.00 -0500, Wendee Holtcamp wrote:
    >Has anyone read this book, and could give me a quick-and-dirty on what
    >the perspective of the author is on biology?
    >
    >Richard Wright, Biology through the Eyes of Faith, San Francisco:
    >Harper and Row, 1989.
    >
    >Any books by Christians who are also biologists (who study
    >evolutionary biology?!). Also, do I understand correctly that Behe
    >actually acknowledges evolution from beginning, just also that God is
    >present? What is the Black Box he is talking about. I know, I know,
    >read the darn book myself but I really appreciate some input from
    >those of you on the list. I'm busy working my tail off so I can get a
    >new Prius (hybrid electric Toyota). :)
    >
    >I am corresponding with someone (I mentioned here before) who I'm
    >trying to convince to actually talk to some "theistic evolutionists"
    >(Like one ASA member - can't remember (Howard?) I also do not like
    >that term, but at least people know what it means - or possibly not!).
    >
    >Anyway, I am convincing him to sign on which I believe he will soon.
    >
    >Wendee
    > ~~ Wendee Holtcamp -- wendee@greendzn.com ~~
    > ~~ Environment/Travel/Science Writer ~~ www.greendzn.com ~~

    Inge Frette