Re: Flood

From: glenn morton (mortongr@flash.net)
Date: Mon Jul 10 2000 - 02:13:08 EDT

    At 12:56 AM 7/10/00 -0700, Diane Roy wrote:

    >> This supports what I said before. With any explosion this size or
    larger, most of the energy will be expended into space, not into the
    atmosphere, so computations of injected energy into the atmosphere must be
    reduced taking into consideration the vast amounts which go directly into
    space. Have you taken this into account in your computations? <<

    Yes, Allan, all those researchers listed in Alvarez and Asaro's article
    took into account the fact that lots of the energy leaves the earth. What
    remains is still enough to destroy everything.

    Allan wrote:
    >>> Not only will evaporated rock and water be injected into the
    atmosphere, but solid rock pieces of all sizes and large quantities of
    liquid water. That liquid water will help wash the atmosphere of dust and
    chemicals that had also been injected into the atmosphere and reduce the
    impact of a Nuclear winter and/or greenhouse effect. All those on the Ark
    were there for approximately a full year. They would be protected in the
    vessel from an impact winter and/or a greenhouse heating longer than the
    proposed effects of the impacts.<<<

    The water won't help if it is vaporized and scalding hot, which it would
    be. We aren't talking about a garden sprinkler here, Allan.

    From the article:"In 1981 Cesare Emilliani of the University of Miami, Eric
    Krause of the
    University of Colorado and Eugene M. Shoemaker of the USGS pointed out that
    an oceanic impact would loft not only rock dust but also water vapor into
    the atmosphere. The vapor, trapping the earth's heat, would stay aloft much
    longer than the dust, and so the impact winter would be followed by
    greenhouse warming.

    From Allan
    >> Other researchers mention that much larger quantities of liquid water
    than water vapor would also be lofted and injected into and above the
    atmosphere. That liquid water would help wash out the dust and rock
    particles from the atmosphere.<<

    Name those researchers. I bet you can't name a single SECULAR (not ICR
    hack) researcher in this field.

    From Allan:
    >> The large quantities of liquid water also injected into and above the
    atmosphere would wash much of the CO2 from the atmosphere.<<

    Cite a reference for this. THat is not what real researchers into this
    field have concluded. Is your 'research' methodology merely to disagree
    with anything experts say with the mantra, "'other researchers say?'" and
    then leaving them unnamed?

    From Allan:
    >> In the immediate vicinity of the blasts, temps would be quite high, but
    I have yet to see anyone consider the quantity of heat loss which a highly
    disturbed atmosphere would radiate to space. Since only one impact is ever
    considered at a time, the affect on the overall's atmosphere's stability is
    considered minimal. But with a series of impacts within just a few days of
    each other for several months, the atmosphere is not likely to remain
    stable. Heat loss is likely to be much greater. The formation of nitric
    acid and acid rain may well have been of minimal concern.

    Then you didn't read the article before engaging your typewriter. If you
    had read a bit further you would have seen the answer you said wasn't
    there. You are incredible in your research and thoughtfulness, Allan. Here
    is what they say (I won't snip it from the letter since it followed your
    erroneous claim above).

    "Another killing mechanism came to light when Wendy Wolbach, Ian Gilmore
    and Edward Anders of the University of Chicago discovered large amounts of
    soot in the KT boundary clay. If the clay had been laid down in a few years
    or less, the amount of soot in the boundary would indicate a sudden burning
    of vegetation equivalent to half of the world's current forests. Jay Meos
    of the University of Arizona and his colleagues have calculated that
    infrared radiation from ejecta heated to incandescence while reentering the
    atmosphere could have ignited fires around the globe." Walter Alvarez and
    Frank Asaro, "An Extraterrestrial Impact," Scientific American, Oct. 1990,
    p. 80-82

    From Allan:
    >>The question is, how big is the radius from the impact site which would
    be affected by the heat of re-entry of blast debris? If the Ark were
    outside that radius, if would not be affected.<<

    Allan, have you personally done a single calculation on the re-entry of a
    meteor into the earth's atmosphere? I have. I have a program that
    calculates the energy of impact, and the atmosphereic breakup of meteors of
    various composition as they re-enter. I wrote it several years ago from an
    article in Sky and Telescope.

    I wrote:
    >>Now lets apply the Chixulub impact to the flood. Noah is on the ark when
    Chixulub hit (Chixulub struck Cretaceous limestone strata covered by a
    shallow sea.)The energy is 1 billion megatons or 4.2 x 10^24 joules. This
    is more energy than I calculated for all the other craters COMBINED!!!!
    Yes, some of the energy does escape from earth, especially some of the
    gas. <<

     How much of the energy escapes from earth? I expect that only a
    relatively small portion of that energy remains in the biosphere. Probably
    even less than that of impacts a couple magnitudes smaller. Lets see the
    computations for heat loss due to the blasting of the hole in the
    atmosphere and due to a highly disturbed atmosphere. You have so far only
    considered and computed the input of energy. What about the other half of
    the picture, the loss of energy due to the catastrophe?

    Did you not read what Meos said about the re-entry of rocks would cause the
    sky to glow with enough heat to start fires all over the earth? Can you
    read a scientific article without running it through that filter of yours?

    I wrote:>> The rocks travel at a slightly lower speed and go suborbital
    reentering the atmosphere with such fury that they burn those floating
    vegetation mats everyone talks about down to the water line (by the way the
    ark is also at risk of burning due to the incandescence of the re-entering
    rocks. After the top deck of the ark burns, the darkness commences, but it
    isn't a cold dark, it is a hellish dark. <<<

    Allan replied:

    >> This assumes that the Ark is within the affected radius of the impact
    site. lets supposed that an impact will kill and burn everything within a
    1000 mile radius (this is a generous estimate according to what I have
    read). <<

    Then you didn't read the extract I spoon fed you from Scientific American.
    It said that fires would be started from all over the world. Conveniently
    forgot that didn't you!

    Allan wrote
    >> This would affect about 3,141,592 square miles. However, the surface of
    the earth is approximately 183,346,494 square miles. That means that any
    single impact (assuming all were as large as Chixulub) would have immediate
    effect on less than 2% of the surface of the globe. If we double the
    affected radius (2000 mi.) it would affect less than 7% of the globe. It
    would not be hard for the Ark to be far from the immediate effects of most
    impactors.<<

    Chixulub particles are found around the world in the irridium layer. It
    affected much more than merely 1000 mile radius.

      Allan wrote:
    >> Given that much more liquid water is inject into the atmosphere than
    water vapor and CO2, the concentrations of such acids would likely not be
    great.<<

    Oh how easily you can say this, Allan and not cite a single researcher in
    the field. I did cite a number of them in that article and if you were
    intellectually honest you would go look up their research and consider it.
    As it is, you merely state meaningless sentences saying that you don't
    agree with them. But you don't cite any articles countering them. This says
    a lot about your level of research.
    >> The majority of water injected into the atmosphere will be liquid not
    vapor. And your computations do not consider heat loss of an atmosphere
    under catastrophic conditions.<<

    Water ejected with enough speed to go ten kilometers high or more will have
    a good chance of vaporizing merely from friction with the atmosphere.

    glenn

    Foundation, Fall and Flood
    Adam, Apes and Anthropology
    http://www.flash.net/~mortongr/dmd.htm