Re: Johnson and Providence

From: Bryan R. Cross (crossbr@SLU.EDU)
Date: Sat Jul 08 2000 - 00:48:39 EDT

    SteamDoc@aol.com wrote:

    > Bryan Cross has asked a couple of times for evidence of Phil Johnson not
    > allowing God to create providentially as some of us assert.

    I went back and looked through all my posts, and I never asked for evidence that
    P. Johnson does not allow God to create providentially. I am already almost
    positively certain that Johnson believes that all life forms could not have
    arisen without some direct divine action, so I would not ask for evidence for a
    claim that I already believe and have solid independent reasons for believing.
    What I did challenge was the claim that Johnson's position implies both deism
    with interruptions and a rejection of the doctrine of providence. That claim
    remains unsubstantiated. Also, I asked for substantiation for the claim that
    according to Johnson "macroevolution disproves God". That too remains
    unsubstantiated. The quotation from Johnson listed below does not state or imply
    that if macroevolution were shown to be true, God would be disproved. Rather the
    quotation below (from what I can tell) simply claims that those who talk about
    God as having created by natural processes alone are not talking about God as He
    really is. It is a theological statement about the nature of God, not a
    counterfactual statement about what would be entailed by the scientific
    demonstration of macroevolution. To read into this quotation that Johnson means
    or implies that were macroevolution shown to be true, God would be disproved, is
    therefore unjustified.

    - Bryan