Re: Methodological naturalism (was Johnson and intelligent design)

From: George Murphy (gmurphy@raex.com)
Date: Wed Jul 05 2000 - 17:17:42 EDT

    Bryan R. Cross wrote:
    > [I think Howard has a good point about the way the terminology 'ID vs. natural
    > causes' implicitly implies the rejection of providence. So I am going to refer to
    > intelligent design by direct action (IDDA) as opposed to intelligent design by
    > natural causes (IDNC).]

            Virtually all Christians agree that God has "designs" for the universe, and I
    can see no reason why a quite strict methodological naturalism should not agree that
    such designs can be accomplished by natural causes. That of course leaves open the
    question about what features are designed.
            But if such features are indeed IDNC and the natural causes are discovered by
    science then then claim that there is an intelligence making use of those processes
    becomes, as far as natural science is concerned, superfluous: Science will have
    explained yet another feature of the world "though God were not given" & the idea of ID
    will in this case have just been a stop-gap.

    > For example, if we take Doug's answer about the
    > trilobite eye, and apply it to the fine-tuning of the universe, science should
    > forever go on looking for an explanation by IDNC.

            There is an obvious difference here. Everybody (except maybe solipsistic
    trilobites) recognizes that trilobites are embedded in a universe which was "here" long
    before they were & is much larger than they are. Thus it is not unreasonable to seek
    the cause of features of the trilobite eye in processes of that universe. But it is not
    generally admitted that the universe itself has such a "larger" environment. We can
    speculate about parallel universes in various ways but that is speculation and no more
    logically compelling than belief in a creator who transcends the universe.
                                                            Shalom,
                                                            George

    George L. Murphy
    gmurphy@raex.com