re: duplicated genes/was intelligent design

From: Wendee Holtcamp (wendee@greendzn.com)
Date: Wed Jul 05 2000 - 11:45:05 EDT

    Stein Stromme asked:
    >I asked a similar question the other day, but no answers yet so I'll
    >repeat it here: How can it be known that this DNA "is not used by
    >organisms"? Is current understanding of genetics really that good?

    That question was addressed in this documentary, and my understanding
    was that -- although you have a valid question -- yes the science is
    that good (and this film was at least 5-10 years old. It was based on
    the genetics work of a professor at one of the UC schools - a
    well-known scientist but I can't remember his name offhand). There is
    always the possibility that some of the code is used in some
    undetectable way. But the chance that the masses of it -- and there
    is TONS in a complex organism like a human -- to be present, but not
    obviously coding for anything and yet being used without detection is
    probably slim.

    As we complete the Human Genome Project we should know even more about
    what is used and what is not. There are places where whole segments of
    DNA were duplicated, and the duplicated genes have no obvious purpose
    until a use evolves through an environmental change or another
    mutation. At least that is my understanding.

    My best,
    Wendee

         ~~ Wendee Holtcamp -- wendee@greendzn.com ~~
     ~~ Environment/Travel/Science Writer ~~ www.greendzn.com ~~
               How many seas must a white dove sail before
                    she can sleep in the sand? -- Bob Dylan