Re: Numerics and Applied Apologetics

From: David Campbell (bivalve@email.unc.edu)
Date: Wed Mar 29 2000 - 16:41:16 EST

    >A detailed study of these remarkable correspondences enables one to be
    >an intellectually-fulfilled Christian - even a YEC !"

    How does the numerology bear on the YEC issue? I understand how you see it
    as supporting the authority of Scripture, but Scriptural infallibility and
    its interpretation are different issues. The explicit numerology of
    Scriptures seems to weaken the case for mandatory YEC because of the
    symbolic nature of 7. For example, celebrations relate to periods of seven
    days (Sabbath, Passover), seven weeks (Pentecost), the seventh month
    (Atonement, Booths), seven years, and seven times seven years (Jubilee).
    The 49 year period is called a yom in the Hebrew, the same word as the days
    of Genesis 1. Such flexibility in the use of time and numbers suggests
    that chronology is not the point of Genesis 1.

    David C.