Re: Another apologetical mess up--CO2 in atmosphere

From: glenn morton (mortongr@flash.net)
Date: Tue Mar 28 2000 - 14:43:43 EST

    ----- Original Message -----
    From: "James Mahaffy" <mahaffy@mtcnet.net>
    To: <asa@calvin.edu>
    Sent: Tuesday, March 28, 2000 12:37 PM
    Subject: Re: Another apologetical mess up--CO2 in atmosphere

    > Folks,
    >
    > Just a few things on Glenn's post on CO2. Glenn's posting the data on
    > carbon dioxide in the atmosphere could give the impression to the reader
    > that we can directly measure the amount of carbon dioxide that was
    > present at various times. Glenn did not imply we could, but citing the
    > figures without indicating the method used to come up with them may give
    > the reader the wrong impression. I have not read the article but am
    > assuming it is the ratio of some isotopes (perhaps C) in rocks
    > (?limestones). The indirect method may be a valid way of approximating
    > Carbon dioxide [and it may be the only way we can do it] but I would
    > like to know how it was calculated and what assumptions were made to
    > come up with the calculation. Even the amount of error that results in
    > direct measurements should be standard in citing data and I assume the
    > error is potentially larger in indirect measurements like these. I know
    > in the past assumptions about early atmosphere have changed quite a bit.
    > That is not to say these figures may not be right but just to cite them
    > gives them more strength than I would feel confident without
    > understanding what they are based on.
    >
    > I would also caution that climatic modeling applied to the past should
    > be taken with a lot of tentativeness. It is still interesting and may be
    > right. I for instance was fascinated by modeling Crawley has done
    > suggesting that coal formation occurred in a temperate everwet and not
    > tropical environment. On the other hand my advisor (who is one of the
    > leading paleobotanist studying Carboniferous coal - does not believe it
    > - the modeling goes against the traditional assumption of tropical
    > nature of those swamps) The reference is - Crowley, T.J., 1994 Pangean
    > climates. In: Klein, G. D., (Editor), Pangea: Paleoclimate, Tectonics,
    > and Sedimentation During Accretion, Zenith, and Breakup of a
    > Supercontinent. Geol. Soc. Amer. Spec. Pap., 288:57-73. I have no idea
    > if Crowley's modeling really fits with Raymo [since I have not read
    > Raymo] who Glenn cites, but my initial feeling is it sounds different
    > from Crowley who I do know, so the reader should be aware that some of
    > the explanations are more tentative.
    >
    > All this is not to say that Glenn's criticism of Ross may not be
    > correct, I am only concerned with not giving the wrong impression to the
    > reader in what is know for sure about fossil carbon dioxide and
    > paleozoic or earlier climates and what caused those changes. Sometimes
    > we are more at the level of guesses than certainty.

    A correction, it is Berner's model, not Raymo's.

    Of course I don't want to give the wrong impression. James is correct that
    we can't directly measure CO2 directly. But there are lots of proxies that
    can be used and lots of boundary conditions. Before I get to that a couple
    of comments. First, I don't think Berner's model says anything about the
    environment of coal deposition. Whether coal is temperate or tropical is
    irrelevant to the question of how much CO2 was removed from the atmosphere
    during the Carboniferous. We have some pretty good estimates of the quantity
    of CO2 required to produce such biomasses as we see in Carboniferous coals.
    That data acts as a boundary condition for Berner's calculations.

    The second comment is that I have been interested in atmospheric modeling
    ever since the late 70s when I carried on a 2 year letter exchange with Jody
    Dillow about his Th.D dissertation/turned into the book The Waters Above. I
    said he had an error in his dissertation and my very first published article
    (CRSQ Dec. 1979, Can the Canopy hold Water?) was a correction of Jody's
    work. Eventually Jody was forced to acknowledge that I was correct and every
    subsequent Creationist worker in that area has had to acknowledge the basic
    correctness of my conclusions (see references below [1])

    Third, one thing that even those who disagree with me on issues usually
    acknowledge--I do a pretty thorough job of researching an issue about which
    I write (personal note to James--remember our discussion of the emissary
    veins and the reversal of blood flow?). I was aware of the conflict between
    what Rana was saying and the CO2 data. My question is why didn't Rana? Why
    do Christian apologetical ministries do such a sloppy job of research?
    Surely this isn't doing our best for the Lord is it?

    Now, back to Berner's model. James is correct that certain isotopes are used
    as proxies as are the knowledge of how much carbonate was deposited in each
    period. This data plus the observed rates of certain processes, like
    photosynthesis, erosion (measured by Sr-87/Sr-86), spreading rates
    throughout the Phanerozoic (CO2 comes out at the ridges), the volcanism rate
    (samething--they produce CO2). In short the calculations are complex but
    they are based upon observed processes and observed boundary conditions in
    the geologic record (measured amounts of coal, carbonate, volcanic deposits
    etc).

    Now, for input of CO2 to the atmosphere one can almost ignore all sources