Re: Possible impact of ID

From: glenn morton (mortongr@flash.net)
Date: Sun Mar 26 2000 - 12:16:21 EST

    Hi Moorad
    ----- Original Message -----
    From: "Moorad Alexanian" <alexanian@uncwil.edu>

    > I think one ought to distinguish between knowing the future and telling
    the
    > people involved in the predications about the future. A person living in
    > our spacetime and knowing the future can make predications that we can
    know
    > and verify. But God, although He knows the future, does not make
    > predications because He is not in our spacetime to tell us of His
    > predications. The interactions between God and the universe and its people
    > is a difficult one. I am just stating my own guesses. But Scripture is
    > always correct and our understanding of our experiences has to fit with
    that
    > fact.

    This is a much more deistic position than the one I am often accused of
    taking. I see several theological problems here. First, is God really
    subject to a space-time manifold? If so, it would imply that God is
    material. At least as I understand space-time from my physics profs, it only
    applies to matter/energy. Secondly, God, through the Holy Spirit is
    supposed to be involved in this universe leading us to truth. If God is in
    another space-time, unable to tell us something, then who is the Holy
    Spirit? Thirdly, is God unable to communicate with man? If he can't
    communicate, then there is no inspiration for the Bible--at least no
    inspiration from Him. So, who did inspire the Bible (or alternatively, is
    it merely a book written by a small group of men with no particular
    importance to be attached to it?) Fourthly, the first prediction in the
    Bible was in the Garden and concerned the advent of Christ. So I would
    contend that God does make predictions. If He doesn't, who did predict the
    Christ in Genesis 3?

    glenn

    Foundation, Fall and Flood
    Adam, Apes and Anthropology